David Arquette has Bar Mitzvah
David Arquette had a Bar Mitzvah in Israel earlier today (11.07.12).
The 41-year-old actor underwent the Jewish right of passage ritual, 28 years later than it is performed by most teenage boys.
The 'Scream 4' star - who's mother, Brenda Olivia, is Jewish - was in the country to film travel show 'Mile High' and was watching a boy go through his Bar Mitzvah, when it was suggested he to should undergo the same and get in touch with his roots.
Enthused by the idea, David took a kippah and tefillin, Jewish prayer robes, and went to the Western Wall.
David was required to read a first portion of holy text the Torah and had phylacteries - small leather boxes containing verses from the Torah - placed on his head while he held his arm in front of the Western Wall during the ceremony.
Shmuel Rabinowitz, the rabbi who conducted the ceremony, told Vosizneias.com: ''He was very emotional, saying he was happy to be part of the chain of the Jewish people.
''I'm very pleased to see a man who is returning to his roots.''
David later posted on twitter: ''I had my bar mitzvah today at the wall. Finally I'm a man.''
David - who split from 'Friends' actress Courteney Cox in 2010 - was not brought up in any one religion, and while his own mother did not practice judaism, his maternal grandmother was a Jewish refugee of the Nazi Holocaust of World War II. His father, Lewis Arquette, converted to Islam.11-06-2012
- Seyfried felt more attractive with 'huge breasts' - 23 May 2013
- Mick Jagger to camp at Glastonbury - 23 May 2013
- Stacy Keibler wants rom-com role - 23 May 2013
- Denise Van Outen to join EastEnders - 23 May 2013
- Rihanna suing Topshop over 'unflattering' T-shirts - 23 May 2013
- Adele chooses Alan Carr to be godfather - 23 May 2013
- Janet Jackson becomes a billionaire - 23 May 2013
- Uzma: Lord Sugar's sacking 'made sense' - 23 May 2013