Bill Turnbull to host Songs of Praise
'BBC Breakfast' presenter Bill Turnbull is to host 'Songs of Praise'.
The 56-year-old host will take over the job from Aled Jones - who is now the face of ITV's 'Daybreak' alongside Lorraine Kelly - in addition to his current duties, in a move that is reported to add five figures to his salary.
Bill said: ''It will be great. Not to put Aled out of a job, to do the programme I mean. People ask, 'Are you religious?' I go to church and try to be a practising Christian. I remember singing along to Songs of Praise in my dressing gown when I was seven.''
BBC Head of Religion and Ethics Aaqil Ahmed said Bill would be a great addition to the classic Sunday night show.
He stated: ''Bill is a fantastic addition. He will be familiar to our viewers and his journalism, warmth and humour.''
Aled has been hosting 'Songs of Praise' for nearly 10 years, but his move to work on ITV forced a re-think at the BBC.
A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: ''Aled is now one of the faces of ITV, so it makes sense that he is not going to get as many chances on the Beeb. It is just ironic that Songs of Praise new main man is Aled's rival.''21-09-2012
- Joey Essex in TOWIE quit threat
- X Factor judges get pay rise
- David Threlfall to play Tommy Cooper
- Uzma: Lord Sugar's Apprentice sacking 'made sense'
- Phillip Schofield wants royal All Star Mr and Mrs
- Denise Van Outen to join EastEnders
- EastEnders' Lauren Branning to be arrested
- Starlings series two to air in July