Ben Forster had Superstar nerves
Ben Forster was ''nervous as hell'' ahead of his 'Jesus Christ Superstar' debut.
The singer-and-actor made his debut in the lead role of the musical - which he landed after winning ITV1 contest 'Superstar' - at London's The O2 last night (21.09.12) - was daunted at the thought of facing such a huge crowd but show chief Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber had all confidence in him.
Speaking ahead of the performance, Andrew said: ''He's as nervous as hell - I've just been in his dressing room and he's the most nervous guy I've ever met in my life but he'll get through tonight. He'll come up, really come up the other end fabulous.''
The production is set in the modern day, with twists including Chris Moyles modelling his King Herod on a game show host - including stopping a song about the sentencing of Jesus, a preacher/activist, to ask the crowd, ''So what do you think, is he a phoney? Text your verdict to...'' with numbers and options appearing on a video screen in the style of a TV talent show.
Lord Lloyd-Webber hailed his vision for the show - which also stars former Spice Girls singer Melanie C and Australian comic Tim Minchin - as ''fantastic''.
He said: ''It's fantastic I think - the production. Nobody's tried to do something in this scale in an arena before.''
Other guests at last night's opening included 'Superstar' judge Dawn French and the show's host Amanda Holden.
'Jesus Christ Superstar' tours the UK throughout the next month. Visit ww.jesuschristsuperstar.com for more information.22-09-2012
- Nicole Scherzinger gushes about Gary Barlow
- Ashley Taylor Dawson: Juggling shows is torture
- Sheridan Smith and Angela Rippon win at Women in Film and TV Awards
- Melanie McCabe backs Sam Bailey for X Factor win
- Rebecca Ferguson sick before X Factor performance
- Julie Hesmondhalgh: filming last Corrie scenes was 'upsetting'
- Chloe Sims wants Joey Essex and Amy Willerton romance
- Simon Cowell mocks Demot O'Leary in musical