David Threlfall to play Tommy Cooper
David Threlfall will play Tommy Cooper in a new documentary drama.
The 'Shameless' star, best known for playing yobbish Frank Gallagher on the Channel 4 show, has been cast as the beloved comedian in a new two-hour ITV programme about his life, both on and off-screen.
The show will focus on Tommy's scandalous relationship with his assistant Mary Kay, with Amanda Redman set to play Tommy's wife Gwen, who he nicknamed Dove.
Andy Harries, the drama's executive producer, said: ''Few comics have had such a lasting influence on UK culture as Tommy Cooper.
''The man was a comedy giant who spent his final years juggling his hugely successful public persona with a private passion for two women. Just like that.''
The Welsh funnyman - who never chose between his wife Gwen and his mistress Mary - is famed for his red fez and larger than life persona.
He collapsed live on TV in 1984 after suffering a heart attack midway through his act on the London Weekend Television variety show, 'Live From Her Majesty's'.
John Fisher, a former producer and award-winning magician, will be offering his skills as a consultant on the show, which begins filming in London next month.23-05-2013
- Meg Ryan to narrate How I Met Your Dad
- Emmerdale's Natalie Robb terrorised by bull
- Jo Joyner: EastEnders drained me
- Caroline Flack brushes teeth before TV
- Gary Lucy got Botox from fiancée
- Jorgie Porter returning to Hollyoaks
- Ritchie Neville could smell Natasha Hamilton's pregnancy
- Amy Childs will 'definitely' do TOWIE cameo