New characters set for Coronation Street
'Coronation Street' is to unveil a host of new characters.
Bosses of the ITV1 soap have decided to make drastic changes to the show when it moves to a new £30million set in Salford next year and it is hoped the shake-up will keep viewers gripped.
Stars of the series - including Kym Marsh and Michelle Keegan - have already been informed of the plans and have been told new families will be joining Weatherfield soon.
A show source said: ''The producers plan to bring Rosamund Street and Viaduct Street into things a bit more.
''Those streets have always been on the outskirts - people are referred to as coming from there but you never see much of them.
''Now they're going to become home for a lot of new faces who will hopefully be just as popular with viewers as the rest of the cast.''
The source added to The Sun newspaper: ''The feeling is that we need fresh characters to spin the action about.''
The show will see a huge amount of change over the next few months as it relocates from its current base in central Manchester to a new set near Salford's MediaCity.
However there have already been a series of set-backs and the move has been delayed by up to six months due to building problems.
ITV confirmed there will only be a ''slight'' delay saying: ''Construction of the main building and the 'Coronation Street' lot continues uninterrupted as does production.''29-08-2012
- Paul Hollywood tried to get Mary Berry arrested
- Rochelle and Marvin Humes haven't rowed since presenting This Morning
- Coronation Street mini-bus crash
- Louise Thompson wants to go on date with Eminem
- Simon Webbe wanted Blue competition on Strictly Come Dancing
- X Factor plan shock elimination
- Miquita Oliver: I'll weep if Bieber cleans up at 4Music awards
- Ricky Rayment taking a break from Twitter