Paul O'Grady awaiting heart surgery
Paul O'Grady has been rushed to hospital after a heart scare.
The 58-year-old comedian, who has survived two heart attacks, was awaiting surgery on Monday night (18.11.13) after experiencing chest pain caused by angina, a condition where blood supply to the muscles of the heart is restricted.
He had to be replaced as a host on his flagship ITV programme, 'The Paul O'Grady Show', at the last minute by singer Michael Ball, who was originally a supposed to be a guest.
According to the MailOnline, Paul wrote in a text message to a friend: ''I've had an angina attack and need a few days' rest in hospital. I think I am going to be out of the game for quite a while. They are taking me in for surgery tomorrow.''
The outspoken TV star - who first suffered a near-fatal heart attack in 2007 - had only returned to his show last week after a two-year break.
A source told the paper: ''Paul has been doing too much. He has already had one heart attack scare and he did take it as a warning and has tried his best to give up the cigs.
''But he is doing so many shows at the moment that it is not surprising that his body has again told him to slow down. I hope he takes notice this time, for his own sake, but I am not sure he will.''
The funnyman has lived alone on his farm in Kent since his partner and former manager Brendan Murphy's death eight years ago.
He previously said he didn't want his heart condition to rule his life and was focused on staying positive.
Paul joked: ''The worst thing you can do is to sit and fret. I take tablets and have check-ups every eight months when they put me on the treadmill. I say to them, 'Heart attack or not, I'm hopeless on treadmills!'.''19-11-2013
- David Hasseloff: I'm not a big fan of Celebrity Big Brother
- Shayne Ward worried about keeping Coronation Street storylines secret
- Katie Price will be one of RuPaul's UK Drag Race judges
- Kian Egan welcomes second son with wife Jodi Albert
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor announces pregnancy
- Lucy Mecklenburgh scolded Louis Smith for posting bum photo
- Beverley Callard misses Anne Kirkbride 'every single day'
- Cheryl Fernandez-Versini to be only female X Factor judge