Coronation Street to cast Liam Gallagher-type character
'Coronation Street' are looking to cast a Liam Gallagher-type character.
The ITV soap's boss, Stuart Blackburn, is on the lookout for a newcomer similar to the outspoken Oasis frontman who could bring some mischief to the cobbles and become a heartthrob for the ladies of Weatherfield, as well as for older viewers.
Stuart told Soap Squawk: ''We do need a hunky new man. Someone with the swagger of Liam Gallagher, but with less swearing.''
The Manchester-based soap provides plenty of eye-candy for their younger viewers in the form of brothers Jason and Todd Grimshaw, played by Ryan Thomas and Bruno Langley, but Stuart hopes to recruit someone who will drive more mature women in Britain ''wild''.
Speaking about what they will be looking for in an actor, he said: ''A guy in his mid-to-late thirties, but with less swearing [than Liam Gallagher] ... We'll be looking at that this year.''
Characters who have taken on the role of the streets' heartthrob in past years include Boyzone singer Keith Duffy, who played the rugged Ciaran McCarthy, and Rob James-Collier, whose character, Liam Connor, was murdered in a hit and run.15-01-2014
- Only The Young eliminated on The X Factor
- 'I'm A Celebrity' star Edwina Currie is 'one tough lady'
- Claudia Winkleman: 'Bear with me' for Strictly Come Dancing return
- I'm A Celebrity's Kendra Wilkinson fails cockroach trial
- X Factor double elimination
- Fleur East feels pressure to pick the right songs
- Lisa Faulkner would 'hate' Come Dine With Me
- Barbara Windsor for EastEnders return?