Coronation Street to cast Liam Gallagher-type character
'Coronation Street' are looking to cast a Liam Gallagher-type character.
The ITV soap's boss, Stuart Blackburn, is on the lookout for a newcomer similar to the outspoken Oasis frontman who could bring some mischief to the cobbles and become a heartthrob for the ladies of Weatherfield, as well as for older viewers.
Stuart told Soap Squawk: ''We do need a hunky new man. Someone with the swagger of Liam Gallagher, but with less swearing.''
The Manchester-based soap provides plenty of eye-candy for their younger viewers in the form of brothers Jason and Todd Grimshaw, played by Ryan Thomas and Bruno Langley, but Stuart hopes to recruit someone who will drive more mature women in Britain ''wild''.
Speaking about what they will be looking for in an actor, he said: ''A guy in his mid-to-late thirties, but with less swearing [than Liam Gallagher] ... We'll be looking at that this year.''
Characters who have taken on the role of the streets' heartthrob in past years include Boyzone singer Keith Duffy, who played the rugged Ciaran McCarthy, and Rob James-Collier, whose character, Liam Connor, was murdered in a hit and run.15-01-2014
- Stevi Ritchie and Chloe Jasmine planning honeymoon to Mauritius
- Cheryl Fernandez-Versini wouldn't welcome Louis Walsh's return
- Charley Webb 'enjoyed' labour
- Cadbury's launch new campaign to find new Milk Tray Man or Woman
- Rylan Clarke pleads with Cheryl Fernandez-Versini to sing at his wedding
- Strictly Come Dancing: Craig Revel Horwood was 'too soft' last year
- Bobby Norris wishes Gemma Collins the best
- David Harewood to play next James Bond?