EastEnders to introduce Dot Branning's grandson
'EastEnders' will introduce Dot Branning's long-lost grandson later this year.
The Walford stalwart is in for a shock when the eldest son of her villainous offspring Nick Cotton appears on her doorstep unexpectedly.
Declan Bennett has been cast in the role of Charlie, Nick's son who is unbeknownst to Dot (June Brown).
The character is named after Dot's ex-husband Charlie Cotton.
Declan said in a statement: ''I'm delighted to be joining the cast of 'EastEnders', especially at what seems to be an extremely exciting time for the show. June Brown is not only an incredible actress but has also created one of TV's most iconic characters, so to be working alongside her is a dream come true.''
The soap's executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins added: ''Declan is a genuinely raw, instinctive and intelligent actor. It's tremendously exciting for us to have him join our cast - and the double whammy of him and June Brown working together is going to be electric.
''With Dot feeling increasingly alone in the world, Charlie's surprise appearance means that she finally has some blood whom she can trust. But should she?''
Declan is currently playing the lead role of Guy in musical 'Once' in London's West End. He will begin filming later this month.
The latest casting follows news the soap will also introduce the eldest son of Mick (Danny Dyer) and Linda Carter (Kellie Bright). Danny-Boy Hatchard has been cast as soldier Lee.22-01-2014
- Jennifer Metcalfe flattered by Sexiest Female award
- Emmerdale wins Best Soap at Inside Soap Awards
- Kate Ford dedicates soap award to mother
- Clive James: I watch box sets on deathbed
- Jack Pack want ventriloquist to win Britain's Got Talent
- The X Factor: Lauren Murray wants Six Chair Challenge scrapped
- Freddie Flintoff: James Corden won't quit A League of Their Own
- Sue Perkins considering adoption