Sam Faiers diagnosed with Crohn's disease
Sam Faiers has been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.
'The Only Way is Essex' star has been battling a mystery illness, which has resulted in her losing a stone-and-a-half (21lb), for the last six weeks and numerous medical tests have now confirmed she is suffering from the inflammatory bowel disease.
The illness can lead to ulcers, abdominal pain and weight loss, and it's thought Sam will need to alter her diet dramatically, as well as go on a liquid-only diet for six weeks to rest her bowel.
A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: ''It's Sam's diet that will be most affected by the diagnosis. She's been told that if she must eat solid food in the next few weeks, she must stick to chicken, eggs and white fish.
''She is suffering from lots of ulcers, so she needs to give them time to heal before she looks at the long term effects of diagnosis.
''At the moment, she is just trying to cope with the excruciating stomach cramps. That has been the most difficult thing. Now, she is working with her gastroenterologist to see if she can work around her illness.''
Sam fell ill while in the 'Celebrity Big Brother' house last month and was rushed to hospital on two occasions.
The source added: ''Sam won't let things hold her back, she's dealing with it in the best way she can. She knows she can't change anything, but she can educate herself about the disease.''
A representative for the 23-year-old beauty confirmed her diagnosis, saying: ''I can confirm Sam has very recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.''20-02-2014
- Yvette Fielding slams Lady Colin Campbell
- Len Goodman defends Strictly Come Dancing over fix claims
- Coldplay and One Direction for X Factor final?
- Kieron Dyer threatens to quit I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here
- Janet Devlin wants a record deal with Simon Cowell
- The Apprentice: David 'intimidated' by Joseph
- Jennifer Lawrence thinks Passengers script is perfect
- Katie Price watches ex-husband Peter Andre on Strictly Come Dancing