Coronation Street star Barbara Knox charged with drink-driving
'Coronation Street' star Barbara Knox has reportedly been charged with drink-driving.
The 80-year-old actress - who has played newsagent Rita Tanner in the ITV show for over 40 years - was said to be crying after the news as she was driven away by a lawyer.
According to The Sun newspaper, she was at Middlewich police station yesterday (04.04.14) with his solicitor Nick Freeman when she was told she will face the charge in front of Macclesfield magistrates in April 24 and could be banned from driving.
A spokeswoman for 'Coronation Street' insisted it was a ''private and personal matter''.
Last month, it was reported that Barbara had been arrested following an afternoon out with her daughter Maxine Ashcroft.
First, Maxine, 56, was breathalysed as she drove home with Barbara in the passenger's seat, and was found to be three times the legal limit.
However, when the soap star later turned up at Cheshire's Knutsford Police Station to bail out her daughter, cops apparently believed she had also been driving under the influence and she was reportedly arrested.
A source said: ''Barbara wasn't happy her daughter had been arrested. She kept yelling, 'Do you know who I am?'
''She turned up at the police station knocking on the door and demanding her daughter be released. But the officers suspected she had driven to the station herself so they arrested her as well.''05-04-2014
- Paul Hollywood tried to get Mary Berry arrested
- Rochelle and Marvin Humes haven't rowed since presenting This Morning
- Coronation Street mini-bus crash
- Louise Thompson wants to go on date with Eminem
- Simon Webbe wanted Blue competition on Strictly Come Dancing
- X Factor plan shock elimination
- Miquita Oliver: I'll weep if Bieber cleans up at 4Music awards
- Ricky Rayment taking a break from Twitter