Chris Addison: Peter Capaldi is 'perfect' Doctor
Chris Addison says Peter Capaldi is the ''perfect'' choice to play 'Doctor Who'
The 42-year-old actor insists his former 'The Thick of It' co-star, who has taken over the role as the titular Time Lord in the sci-fi series, will be fantastic as the Doctor and believes he will bring back an air of slightly menacing mystery to the part.
In an interview with ShortList magazine, he revealed: ''I've said it for years - he's the perfect Doctor. We've had terrific Doctors recently, but they've all been missing this note I loved when I was a kid: that you didn't know if you were safe with the Doctor. He was this terrifying, mercurial figure, he could be an imp or an evil genie; it would turn on a sixpence.''
Chris believes Peter's portrayal will be ''darker'' than Matt Smith's incarnation as the Eleventh Doctor and David Tennant's Tenth Doctor.
He also believes Peter might be able to reach the high standard set by Tom Baker, who starred in the series between 1974 and 1981 and is the longest running actor in the role.
He added: ''There were moments of darkness in Matt Smith's and David Tennant's Doctors, but Peter's able to play that note of imperiousness. I think he'll be this generation's Tom Baker.''25-04-2014
- Piers Linney has quit Dragons' Den
- Sir David Jason thanks family values for Only Fools and Horses success
- Chris Evans in 'the middle of tests' for prostate cancer
- Zoe Ball to present EastEnders aftermath show
- Julie Walters refused to play 'downstairs' role in Downton Abbey
- Hayley Tamaddon dating Joe Tracini
- Jodie Kidd splits from David Blakeley
- Katie Hopkins showered with Katie Price