Michael Barrymore: I tried to kill myself
Michael Barrymore tried to kill himself by overdosing on pills.
The former TV presenter has opened up about his drug and alcohol addiction, as well as the tragic death of Stuart Lubbock - who was found lifeless in the star's swimming pool - in 2001, which brought the star's career to a halt, and admits he tried to take his own life on more than one occasion.
Michael appears on a celebrity special of 'The Jeremy Kyle Show' today (09.06.14) and tells the host: ''I've been taken off to the hospital a couple of times.
''Pills, too many pills, just chuck a load [in my mouth] ... I bought them from the chemist. I think that was a cry for help.''
He also talks about the day he found Stuart's body in his swimming pool after a party at his home 13 years ago.
Michael said: ''I just froze. That was my very first thought. I ran back into the house to get help, then the two boys started giving CPR and then the ambulance was called for and that in turn calls the police. And I was stood ... just in complete shock.
''The first thing I did wasn't run away, the first thing I did was run to get help.''
The 62-year-old star breaks down in tears discussing his split from wife Cheryl, who divorced him after he came out as gay in 1995. Cheryl later died of lung cancer in 2005.
Michael said: ''If I hadn't [come out] I truly believe I would have died, because I believe that my drinking and my [drug] using was getting worse because of it.''
Meanwhile, Tito Jackson and Liz Dawn will appear on 'The Jeremy Kyle Show' during a week of celebrity specials, which will delve into a variety of issues ranging from money, drugs and relationships.
Tara Palmer Tomkinson will also discuss her battle with cocaine and reveal the truth behind her alleged relapse.
The celebrity specials will air 9-13 June at 2pm on ITV.09-06-2014
- Lewis Hamilton and Mo Farah for BBC Sports Personality of the Year
- Yvette Fielding: Lady Colin Campbell personally attacked me
- Sinitta: The X Factor's 4th Impact 'never stop'
- Vicky Pattison is showing 'real' her on I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
- Apprentice's Selina Waterman-Smith brands show 'fix'
- Doctor Who Christmas special titled The Husbands of River Song
- Marc Baylis excited about Coronation Street return
- Yvette Fielding voted off I'm A Celeb