Rik Mayall's cause of death unknown
Rik Mayall's cause of death is unknown, according to his widow.
'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom' star was found dead at his home in London yesterday (09.06.14), at the age of 56, but his wife Barbara Robbin isn't sure what led to his sudden death.
Speaking outside the couple's home in Barnes, south west London, she said: ''We don't know yet what happened. He had a strong heart, so I don't think it was a heart attack. But we just don't know until the coroner's report.
''Maybe he had a fit, maybe it was his heart. We just don't know.''
Rik developed epilepsy following a near-fatal quad bike accident in 1998, which left him on life support for five days.
The British comedian overcame the odds - despite two brain haemorrhages - but his bout with epilepsy often led to fits if he failed to take his daily medication.
Tributes have poured in for the late star, including a heartfelt message from his comedy partner and friend of over 40 years, Ade Edmondson.
He said in a statement: ''There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.
''And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d.''
'Little Britain' star David Walliams expressed his sadness on Twitter, writing: ''I am heartbroken that my comedy idol growing up Rik Mayall has died. He made me want to be a comedian.''10-06-2014
- Farrah Abraham and James Hill sign up for Celebrity Big Brother
- Kym Marsh trolled on Twitter over son's death
- Jodie Kidd: Sue Perkins was treated 'horrifically'
- EastEnders leads soap award nominations
- Gemma Collins set for Celebrity Big Brother
- Joey Essex finds love again
- Denise Welch: Celebrity Big Brother wasn't my 'finest hour'
- Simon Cowell eyes Rita Ora for The X Factor