Corrie and Emmerdale cast sign up for Tour de ITV
Cast members from 'Coronation Street' and 'Emmerdale' are taking part in the Tour de ITV.
A host of famous faces from the popular soaps including Gaynor Faye and Jamie Shelton have signed up for the charity biking challenge on July 1, which involves cycling 60 miles from the Rover's Return pub in Manchester to Emmerdale's local, the Woolpack pub, in Yorkshire.
The ride has been organised by Join In, an Olympic and Paralympic legacy charity which highlights the importance of volunteers in putting together a sports event, so many extra 'Corrie' stars will be helping the fitness fanatics along the way.
Jamie - who plays Emmerdale's Robbie Lawson - enthused: ''It's great to part of the ITV Local Heroes campaign inspiring more people to volunteer at local sports clubs allowing others to enjoy more sport. I think the ride will be a lot of fun, and a great way to raise funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care.''
Sara Hanson, Head of Corporate Responsibility at ITV, added: ''The Tour de ITV is a great way that we can go that extra mile during a fantastic summer of sport and a perfect opportunity to showcase the essential role of the volunteer behind any big or small sporting event. We hope that it will inspire more people to become ITV local heroes and lend a hand at a sporting club or event near them.''
The celebrities are also set to be accompanied by other well-known ITV figures, including Laura Tobin, Good Morning Britain's weather presenter.
The challenge takes the group along part of the iconic Tour de France route and the Pennine hills, and locals are encouraged to sign up as ride volunteers or simply cheer the TV stars along the way.
For more information visit www.itv.com/localheroes.18-06-2014
- Chloe Lewis: The Only Way Is Essex makes you more 'heartless'
- Stacey Solomon gets 'embarrassed' talking about Steve-O
- Paul O'Grady would punch Craig Revel Horwood on Strictly Come Dancing
- Jonathan Ross: Awards ceremonies are a 'bad idea'
- Stan Lee creates superhero series for British TV
- George Blagden's boarding schooling made him 'perfect' for Vikings
- Laura Jackson forced to face fear of snakes
- Janice Dickinson signs £300,000 Celebrity Big Brother deal?