We want to improve the way our websites work with assistive technologies like screen magnifiers and voice activation software.
We hope these little changes will help make the web even more enjoyable for all.
Using Virgin Broadband
Accessibility issues on our site Accessibility issues on our site
We know our site isn't perfect. Sometimes we've had to include features on our site that may cause accessibility issues, like video content from other people or organisations.
If you only use a keyboard or screen reader, there are visible skip links so you can skip a section. They appear when you tab onto them.
We're working hard to stop these problems or provide accessible alternatives in future.
Changing the settings on your computer Changing the settings on your computer
The BBC has a site called 'My Web My Way' help you use your computer's access features. There are guides on topics likes changing fonts and colours, making your keyboard easier to use and finding content with British Sign Language.
Using this accessibility website Using this accessibility website
Here are some of the access features of this website:
- Easy navigation for keyboard users.
- Links that work with screen readers.
- Links that are highlighted with keyboard focus.
- Skip navigation links let you skip content. For sighted users, the 'skip to' links are revealed by pressing the tab key after the page loads. Sometimes you can skip to different areas of the page.
Screen reader navigation
If you're using a screen reader, you can browse this page by using these keyboard commands:
- H to move forwards through the page headings.
- Shift + H to move backwards through the page headings.
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or 2 for the next level 2 heading, and so on until heading 6).
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (same applies for headings 2-6).
- Insert + F5 to get a list of all form controls on the page.
- Insert + F6 to get a list of all headings on the page.
- Insert + F7 to get a list of all links on the page.
Changing the colour and font of the display
You can also use the controls in your browser to change the size of the text or the colour of the display.
For example, to change a website font and colour settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the General tab, and then click Accessibility.
- Select the 'Ignore colours specified on web pages', 'Ignore font styles specified on web pages,' and 'Ignore font sizes specified on web pages' boxes', and then click OK twice.
Links, new windows and layers
Links to pages and other websites will open in the same window unless we say so. Some links can also open in a pop-up window on top of the page you're viewing.
A text link is like this: Follow Richard's challenge (opens in a new window) The text (opens in a new window) is hidden for screen reader users.
We've made this section of our site conform with the AA standard of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0). These guidelines are recognised all over the world as a benchmark for building accessible, user friendly websites.
The following assistive technologies are compatible with this section. They won't work on areas with accessibility limitations.
- JAWS version 12.0, 13 and 14 Screen Reader.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 and 11.5.
- ZoomText 9.1 and 10 Screen Magnifier.
If you have any problems with older versions of these applications or other assistive technologies, please tell us.
This section works with modern browsers including Microsoft Internet Explorer 8+, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome 10+ and Opera 10+.
If you have any problems with older versions of these browsers, please let us know.
Web standards and technologies
This website was made to meet World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards for HTML 5 (HyperText Mark-up Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).
Broadband, TV and Phone Customers
Dial 150 from your Virgin Media home phone or mobile. It's free.
If you want to contact us using our Text Relay Service, call our Text Relay freephone number 18001 0800 052 2164
Or ring us from any other phone:
Dial 0345 454 1111*
Dial 789 from your mobile. It's free.
Or ring us on 0345 6000 789** from any other phone.
Call from a textphone
Dial 18001 0800 052 2164*
Video Relay Service
Monday to Friday 9am until 8pm
Saturday and Sunday 9am until 4pm
Contact us through a sign language interpreter
The legal stuff
For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.
** Please note that standard charges apply. Please check with your network operator for rates.
Recommended sustainability stories