Posted by Rob McCann Sustainable growth
Supporting the UN’s Global Goals campaign
28th September 2015
Last week the United Nations is launching a new set of sustainable development targets called Global Goals - 17 goals for the next 15 years which aim to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
Virgin Unite, the non-profit part of the Virgin Group, has pledged its support to Project Everyone: an alliance of companies with the mighty ambition of sharing the Global Goals with 7 billion people in 7 days. As a result, Virgin Media, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Trains and other Virgin companies are joining forces to help drive positive change.
We want to play our part, so Virgin Media will be promoting the goals to our customers between 26 September and 3 October through the creation of a dedicated online area and promotion across our social channels and Virgin Media Presents.
The Global Goals Alliance needs you
You can join the army of superheroes spreading the word by downloading the Global Goals Alliance app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play, or by visiting the Global Goals Alliance site. Create a superhero with a superpower of your choice, take a quick selfie and share your superpowers with your friends and family on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Virgin Media’s contribution to the Global Goals
At the end of July, we launched our ‘5 in 5’ sustainability goals to help Virgin Media grow responsibly and sustainably, and to do more good with digital. All of our goals clearly align to the Global Goals, including ‘climate action’, ‘reduced inequalities’, ‘decent work and economic growth’ and ‘industry, innovation and infrastructure’ amongst many others. Here's a reminder of our '5 in 5' sustainability goals:
- People - Nurture an engaged workforce which represents the diversity of our customers and communities
- Products - Improve the sustainability performance of every new customer product
- Operations - Grow our business without increasing our carbon footprint
- Boosting business - Create the opportunities for 100,000 small businesses to grow in the UK’s economy through digital
- Transforming lives - Transform the lives of disadvantaged people in the UK through digital technology
Recommended sustainability stories