Skip to main content

How do I cancel my Virgin Mobile contract?

We’re sorry you’re thinking of leaving Virgin Mobile. Before you decide to go, there are a few things you should know.

Customer Satisfaction Guarantee

When you buy directly from us, we want you to be totally happy with your service. If you change your mind about taking a new contract with us, you have a statutory right to cancel without a penalty within the first 14 days without giving a reason. Our 14-day Customer Satisfaction Guarantee also lets you exchange your phone for a different one of the same value or get a full refund of the price for the handset.

In either case, we’ll send you prepaid packaging to post it back. You’ll be charged for any airtime or data used or bought according to your plan.

Want to know more about our Customer Satisfaction Guarantee? Click here.


Taking your number with you? - If you want to take your number with you, you’ll need a Porting Authorisation Code, usually called a PAC. You can get a PAC in one of two ways:

  • Sign in to your online account and select Switching to make your request
  • Text ‘PAC’ and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 65075 For example: PAC 01/03/1984

Don’t want to take your number with you? - If you want to change mobile provider and automatically cancel your current service but not keep your mobile number, you’ll need a Service Termination Authorisation Code (STAC). You can get a STAC in one of two ways:

  • Sign in to your online account and select Switching to make your request
  • Text ‘STAC’ and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 75075 For example: STAC 01/03/1984

When you request a PAC, we’ll give it to you straight way and send it by text message too.

Pay As You Go - Just remember to use any credit you have left as you will lose it when the switch is complete.

If you want to go ahead with the switch, you’ll need to give your PAC to your new provider. When you’ve switched, your mobile number will transfer to your new provider. If you are not taking your number with you then you’ll need to give your STAC to your new provider.

When you’ve switched, your service with us will terminate. We’ll also stop charging you for usage on this number.

What happens when you leave?

When you tell us you want to leave, what happens depends if you’ve got a Pay Monthly plan, or a Pay As You Go plan. Choose your plan below for more info.


If you’re on a Pay Monthly plan and want to cancel your contract with us, you can do this:

  • By requesting your PAC or STAC and providing this to your new provider. To request your PAC or STAC see PAC or STAC section above

Cancelling without changing provider

Please Note: When you cancel your account, your mobile number will terminate and you will not be able to get this mobile number back. If you want to keep your mobile number, please follow the PAC process. For more information click here.

Early Disconnection Fees

All Pay Monthly plans come with a minimum term. We’ll have let you know how long your minimum term is for when you took out your plan, and you can always see how long you have left on your minimum term in Your Account.

If you want to end your plan before this minimum term has finished, you may need to pay an Early Disconnection Fee for leaving early. The Early Disconnection Fee will not be more than the charges you would have paid for the services for the remainder of the minimum period less any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with the services

For details on how we work out any Early Disconnection fee, choose which Pay Monthly plan you have:

  • For Classic plans, click here
  • For Freestyle and SIM Only plans, click here

Right to Cancel without an Early Disconnection Fee

Sometimes you may have the right to cancel without paying an Early Disconnection Fee within your contract term, for example if we make certain changes to your terms or prices. We’ll always tell you if this is the case.

Freestyle handset payments

When you have a Freestyle plan, your airtime plan and your handset payments are provided under separate contracts.

When you leave us, we’ll end your airtime plan payments at the end of your 30-day notice period.

Your handset payments will continue to the end of your loan agreement, or if you prefer you can arrange to pay the full balance of your handset loan when you give us notice to leave.

Final Bill

You can view your latest bill for your plan anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you’ve got a Pay As You Go airtime plan, you need to let us know you want to leave by requesting either a PAC or STAC. For more information on requesting your PAC or STAC click here.

Otherwise you can simply stop using your SIM and we’ll disconnect the number after 365 days.

Credit balances

If you’ve got a credit balance on your Pay As You Go plan, we won’t refund this if you stop using your number or you ask us for a PAC or STAC. So, make sure you’ve used any credit balance before you leave us.


*Please note standard charges apply, please check with your network operator for rates

Other ways to get help

    Service status

  • Run tests on your kit
  • Identify network outages
  • Book an engineer

     Check service status


   Guided support

  • Browse help articles
  • Easy to follow videos
  • Step by step guides

     Get help


    My Virgin Media

  • Make a payment
  • Track your orders
  • Check service status

    Sign in


    Mobile Your Account

  • View mobile bills
  • Change your plan
  • Check balance

     Mobile Sign in