How to set up Virgin TV
It's important that you get your Virgin TV set up in the right order, so don't plug in, or turn any of the kit on, until you’ve been guided through it. This usually takes just over an hour.
• Connect the end of the 1.5m isolator cable with the black band to the socket marked ‘Wall’ on the connector cables.
• Take the red-banded end of the isolator cable and push it firmly into the Virgin Media socket on your wall.
• Find the cable with the blue band on the end and connect it to the socket of the Hub. Push it firmly into place.
• Connect the Ethernet cable to the Hub and push it firmly into place. Your Ethernet ports may face the opposite direction to the ones shown below.
• Connect the power supply for the Hub – it’s the one with the blue label on the wire.
• Plug the power supply into a mains socket.
• Connect the power supply to the Hub, switch on at the mains socket and then switch on your Hub. The Hub will now make a connection to our Fibre network. This will take a few minutes and the lights on your Hub will flash as it connects. When the WiFi light is on and the base light is solid white you are ready to move on. The arrows may still be flashing green.
• Your new WiFi network will be called something like VM123456. The connection details are on the base of the new Hub.
• Attach the connector cable with the white end to the socket on the rear of the TV Box by pushing it firmly into place.
• There are two options for connecting the TV Box to the Hub. If your TV Box is close enough an Ethernet connection provides the best connection. If the TV Box is too far away to connect the Ethernet cable, you can connect via WiFi instead.
• Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the rear of the TV Box.
• Use the new HDMI cable provided to connect the TV Box to your TV. Take a note of the name of the HDMI port you have connected to, e.g. HDMI 1.
• Connect the new power supply for the TV Box.
• Plug the TV Box into a nearby mains socket.
• Connect the new power supply to the back of the TV Box
• Switch on at the mains socket and then use the switch at the back of the TV Box to turn it on. You’ll see an amber light on the front of the TV Box.
• Turn on your TV, then using your TV remote, press the Input, AV or Source button. Select the correct HDMI input for the TV Box.
• When you see the Welcome screen, you can pull the tab out of the remote.
• Disconnect the cable from the back of your phone. It should pop out easily. Once you’ve removed the cable, replace it with the one provided.
• Plug the other end of the new cable into the top grey port, Port 1, on the back of the Hub.
• Allow a couple of minutes for the phone to be recognised by the Hub. Then check the phone for a dial tone and make a test call to check everything’s working.
How to replace an existing TV box
If you need to replace an existing TV box, follow the steps below to help you disconnect and return the existing TV box and connect the new TV box.
If you’ve got a TV360, you must reply ‘go’ to a text that we sent to you before you start this guide.
Didn’t get a text? Call us on 0800 953 9500 and have your account number to hand.
How to connect a Virgin TV box to the WiFi
• Point remote at the TV box and select ‘UK’
• Select WiFi
• Select WPS set up
• Press WPS button on the front of your hub, until light flashes
• Press ‘OK’ on the remote
Also take a look at: how to get best WiFi signal Or, you can follow our help guide for more advice on setting up your Virgin Media broadband
How to change an existing Virgin TV box to a Virgin TV V6 box
Changing your TV box takes just over an hour. Follow our step-by-step guide:
• Switch off your old box at the socket and unplug your TV box.
• Switch off your old box at the back and remove the power supply lead.
• Remove the connector cable – use the spanner in the new QuickStart kit.
• Remove the HDMI or SCART lead that connects your old box to your TV.
• Connect the short cable adaptor to the connector cable that was plugged into your old TV box.
• Join the two parts of the power supply together.
• Connect the cable adaptor to the socket on the back of the new V6 box.
• Use the HDMI cable to connect the new box to your TV.
• Connect the Ethernet cable to the back of the new box.
• Plug the power supply into a mains socket.
• Connect the power supply to the back of the new box, then switch on at the wall. And on the back of the box.
• Using your TV remote push the Input, AV or Source button.
• Scroll to the HDMI port you connected the cable to. You should see a welcome screen, then the Virgin Media start up screen.
• Pull the tab out of the back of the new remote.
• If you connected through the Ethernet, the new box will now download the latest software. If you didn’t, the new box will now give instructions on how to connect to the WiFi.
How to change an existing Virgin TV box to a Virgin TV TiVo box
Before you begin, take a look at the kit you've received – making sure you have all the parts. If you don't, it’s our fault that your installation pack isn’t complete.
Give us a call, on the number in your QuickStart pack, and we’ll send out the missing parts as soon as possible.
Unplug at the wall socket.
For the white co-axial cable, unscrew anti-clockwise, using the spanner provided if you need to. Then remove the remaining connections (HDMI or SCART) from the back of the set top box, but leave them connected to the TV.
Leave the other end of the co-axial cable connected to the wall socket, or splitter.
If you’ve been given equipment return instructions, please send back. Otherwise a charge may be made to your account, if equipment isn’t returned.
Grab the end of the white co-axial cable, that was previously connected to your old set top box and push it into the ‘cable in’ port, at the back of your new TiVo box.
Just pop in the batteries provided into the back of your TiVo remote.
Connecting to a HD TV
Connect the HDMI cable provided into the HDMI port on the back of your TiVo box. Connect the other end to a free HDMI port on your TV.
Connecting to a non-HD TV
Connect a SCART cable (not supplied) to the SCART port on the back of your TiVo box. Connect the other end to a free SCART socket on your TV.
Grab the power pack and plug into the power port on the TiVo box.
Next, connect the power cable into the power pack, then plug into the wall socket and switch on.
Last but not least, switch the TiVo box on at the back.
Turn your TV on and using your TV remote (not TiVo remote) select the Input, AV or Source button.
Once selected, you'll see a menu. Select the input that relates to the port used: HDMI or SCART. For example, if you used HDMI 1 port on your TV, select the HDMI 1 option on the menu screen.
Once you’ve selected the correct input, you’ll see a ‘starting up’ message on screen. It can take up to 30 minutes for the TiVo software to download and a number of different screens will appear. If the screen goes blank, don’t switch the box off – this is normal.
The home screen will appear when the download is complete.