Testing my Broadband Speed
How to test my download and upload speeds How to test my download and upload speeds
1. In your browser, head over to Speed Test
2. On the page that loads, on the right hand side it should say 'Virgin Media'
3. If it doesn't, select Change Server. Choose a Virgin Media server from the dropdown list.
4. Hit GO and the speed test will run.
5. After a few seconds, your download and upload speeds will be displayed.
What your speed test results mean What your speed test results mean
Ping – this is reaction time of your connection. The faster the ping the better your connection will be for gaming and other uses where a fast reaction is required
Download speed – this will tell you how fast data can be downloaded from the Internet to your device
Upload speed – this will tell you how fast data can be uploaded from your device to the Internet
There are many factors that can affect these results including which speed test site you use:
- Your test result will only be as fast as the slowest part of the connection between your device and the speed test site
- The time of day and days of the week can affect your test result, so run multiple tests to ensure the tests are not affected by one off factors or high usage of the speed test site
- Tests using a wired connection will be more reliable than a WiFi connection
- Mobile device test results will usually be different than tests using a computer browser due to hardware limitations, and may be lower than your broadband service. As an example, the Apple iPhone 6 has a maximum WiFi connection speed of up to 120Mbps - recent laptop and desktop computers can achieve up to 1Gbps via a wired connection