How do I test my Broadband speed?
It's super simple to test what speeds you're getting from your broadband connection. Follow our steps to find out both your download and upload speeds.
Before you begin, it's best to make sure the only device connected to your Hub is the one you're running the test on. To do this, you can either turn off all your other devices (mobiles, laptops, games consoles), or turn their WiFi off.
For the most accurate results, connect the device you're running the test on to the Hub with an Ethernet cable.
How to test my download and upload speeds How to test my download and upload speeds
1. In your browser, head over to Speed Test
2. On the page that loads, on the right hand side it should say 'Virgin Media'
3. If it doesn't, select Change Server. Choose a Virgin Media server from the dropdown list.
4. Hit GO and the speed test will run.
5. After a few seconds, your download and upload speeds will be displayed.
What your speed test results mean What your speed test results mean
Ping – this is reaction time of your connection. The faster the ping the better your connection will be for gaming and other uses where a fast reaction is required
Download speed – this will tell you how fast data can be downloaded from the Internet to your device
Upload speed – this will tell you how fast data can be uploaded from your device to the Internet
There are many factors that can affect these results including which speed test site you use:
- Your test result will only be as fast as the slowest part of the connection between your device and the speed test site
- The time of day and days of the week can affect your test result, so run multiple tests to ensure the tests are not affected by one off factors or high usage of the speed test site
- Tests using a wired connection will be more reliable than a WiFi connection
- Mobile device test results will usually be different than tests using a computer browser due to hardware limitations, and may be lower than your broadband service. As an example, the Apple iPhone 6 has a maximum WiFi connection speed of up to 120Mbps - recent laptop and desktop computers can achieve up to 1Gbps via a wired connection