How to run an internet speed test
Just tap the button below and the speed checker will do the rest. The broadband speed test will tell you how fast your broadband’s download and upload speeds are in megabits per second (Mbps).
We don't like to brag… but we're 16x faster
At Virgin Media, we know our broadband is bound to impress thanks to speeds that allow you to get the most out of your connection.
16 times faster: Based on fastest widely available advertised average download speeds (Virgin Media Gig1 average speed 1130Mbps vs average speed 67Mbps for BT Fibre 2 and 59Mbps for Sky Broadband Superfast). For verification see virginmedia.com/fast
How does the broadband speed checker work?
The broadband speed test measures your internet connection by downloading and uploading small bits of data and then calculating how long the process takes.
To get the most accurate result it’s best to connect to your router using an ethernet cable, unless you’re testing what WiFi speeds you can get in certain parts of your property.
Is the WiFi speed test accurate?
Overall yes, but there are some things you can do to improve the accuracy of the reading.
- Try not to have other browser tabs open and close other windows or apps that may be open.
- Make sure you don’t have other devices or consoles connected to the WiFi as they can interfere with the signal.
- Connect to your router with a wired connection, if you can, and turn off the WiFi on your computer.
- Switch off antivirus software and firewalls, if possible.
- Test your broadband speed at different times in the day to get an average reading.
What affects your broadband speed?
There are a few factors that will affect the internet connection and speed of broadband service you can get at home. This could be anything from how far your property is from the telephone exchange, to where you’ve placed your router or even how large your home is. It is worth being aware of these factors when assessing how well your broadband is performing.
Find out more about what affects your broadband speed
Why should I test my broadband speed?
There are a number of good reasons to start checking your broadband. For example:
- To make sure your broadband provider is giving you the speeds you were promised
- To check for WiFi blackspots in certain areas of your property
- To see if your broadband speeds vary at different points in the day
It’s important to know how well your broadband is performing, and that you’re getting what you pay for. Our internet speed checker will check if your internet provider’s broadband is right for your household. The results from your broadband speed test could help you find a better broadband deal to suit your work, streaming or browsing needs.
Why is my internet connection so slow?
There could be any number of issues affecting your broadband connection and making it slow. Once you have disconnected and double-checked everything that could affect your broadband speed result, it might be best to do another check of your set-up.
Make sure all routers and cables are correctly connected and your wireless passwords are all right. If that all seems as it should be, there could be a fault on your line, faulty equipment or a temporary problem with the service. Contact your broadband provider to ask if there are any known issues that could be affecting your service.
How can I improve my internet speed?
There are a few tips and tricks that could help improve your broadband speed.
- Adjust your router position: moving it as far away as possible from electrical devices, especially wireless ones like baby monitors
- Upgrade your router. Having more up to date equipment may help improve your speed. Some broadband routers are not able to supply the fast broadband speeds available from providers.
- Plug your router directly into your home’s main phone socket. If you’re not sure which socket this is, get in touch with your broadband provider
- Update all your internet browsers
- Try using a wired internet connection using an ethernet cable (if you can) instead of a WiFi connection
- Talk to your internet service provider or have a look around for a new one
No median stated / over 900 Mbps
Sky (inc. Sky Name TV)
The legal stuff
No setup fee
This offer means you won’t pay the usual setup fee of £35. No setup fee is available on all broadband, TV and home phone bundles until 21st December 2022. If you are eligible for a QuickStart self-install kit, but choose to use an engineer for your installation, you’ll still be charged £30 for this service.
- Read the terms on the Priority app or at o2.co.uk/terms
Fastest WiFi guarantee of any major provider
Comparing WiFi guarantees of major UK ISPs. Terms of guarantee vary by provider. To verify click here. Virgin Fibre Areas only. Available with M50 broadband or faster. £8p/m extra or included with Gig1 or Volt. At least 20Mbps download speeds in every room or £100 one-off credit. Up to 3 WiFi Pods if needed. Excludes broadband faults and broadband network outages. Further exclusions & legal stuff apply.
UK’s fastest widely available broadband
Virgin Media Gig1 (average download speed 1130Mbps) vs fastest widely available average download speeds of UK ISPs. For verification see virginmedia.com/fast