Consider getting fibre broadband if you want:
- Speed: Fibre broadband can offer much faster internet speeds than traditional copper broadband.
- Strength: Fibre-optic technology provides a more reliable internet connection than standard broadband.
- Smooth: Fast fibre broadband deals can stream videos seamlessly and power online gaming with ease.
What is fibre broadband?
Fibre is a lightning-fast broadband connection that travels almost at the speed of light. Fibre broadband can be FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) or FTTP (fibre to the premises – or home). Here’s a quick summary:
- FTTC – These networks use fibre-optic cables to bring fibre to the cabinet in the street. The onwards connection to your home can vary. We use coaxial cables in our Virgin Media network that deliver super speeds to your home, but traditional FTTC networks are still using copper phone lines.
- FTTP – Fibre all the way to your home. In our FTTP network, our cables connect you directly to our fibre network, providing lightning-fast speed.
Why should I get a fibre broadband deal?
- Faster internet: Fibre broadband can transfer data at a much faster rate across the network than traditional copper wire networks.
- More reliable: Traditional copper broadband is more likely to be affected by electrical interference or long distances than fibre broadband.
How to choose the best fibre broadband deal
Not sure how fast you need to go? Why not look into M125 Fibre Broadband if you have fewer than 10 devices or start from M250 Fibre Broadband if you have more.
M350 Fibre Broadband and our higher M500 Fibre Broadband and Gig1 speeds are great for gaming and busy, gadget-filled homes.
Learn more about our speeds to help you choose our best deal for you.
Good to know – Our broadband and phone deals are often cheaper than getting broadband on its own. See if having a home phone plan can help you save each month.
Our Virgin Media fibre-optic cable connects to the local cabinet on the street, then a coaxial cable delivers fibre broadband onwards into your home, for a lightning-fast, reliable connection.
All of our broadband is at least part fibre-optic and much faster and more reliable than traditional copper broadband. Our network uses fibre-optic cables from the source to the cabinet in the street and, most times, a coaxial cable - capable of gigabit speeds - will deliver the signal to your home.
Compared to traditional ADSL, or Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (an older type of broadband), fibre broadband can offer faster, more reliable speeds. Fibre-optic cables can send more information, as they’re made from glass or plastic rather than copper, and data is transferred more efficiently using pulses of light. Therefore, streaming is smooth on fast fibre broadband speeds, and more devices can connect to the internet at the same time.
Our fastest fibre broadband package helps you download – files, movies, games – at 1,130Mbps (average speed), the Virgin Media WiFi Hub just plugs straight in, so it’s often the fastest way to get up and running with our fibre broadband.
Just half an hour or so, if QuickStart's available at your address. That’s including a 10 minute break while the Virgin Media WiFi Hub starts up. Otherwise, an installation visit from one of our technicians could take around an hour, depending on the work needed to set up your fibre broadband.
Yes, some homes will need an engineer – we can come at a convenient time and install fibre broadband, usually, within an hour. However, our self-installation option may be available to you at checkout – with QuickStart the Virgin Media WiFi Hub just plugs straight in, so it’s often the fastest way to get up and running with our fibre broadband.
Lightning-fast and reliable – Our 99.86% reliable network offers unlimited downloads and gigabit speeds.
Priority from O2 – Enjoy all the rewards, perks and experiences at no extra cost. Just for having our fibre broadband.
Peace of mind – Servicing and repairs is included, for any faults not caused by misuse or mistreatment.
Security protection – Virgin Media Web Safe has Virus Safe and Child Safe included, to help keep your devices and your family safe online for no extra cost.
Yes, you’ll be provided with our mighty WiFi Hub, at no extra cost, with all of our fibre broadband deals. It even has Intelligent WiFi technology built in to help you get fast connections that you can rely on.
You should register your interest in joining our fibre broadband network:
- Use the broadband postcode checker if you haven’t already
- If it says our fibre broadband deals are currently unavailable at your address, tap ‘Notify me when available’
- Leave your contact details with us. You’ll then be among the first to know when our services are coming to your area.
The legal stuff
*Monthly price shown will increase each April from April 2024 by the Retail Price Index rate of inflation announced in February each year plus 3.9%. Doesn’t apply to Netflix Add to Bill add-on, Disney+ Premium add-on & Stream Entertainment subscriptions or admin charges. See www.virginmedia.com/prices and www.o2.co.uk/prices for details.
No setup fee
This promotion means you won’t pay the usual setup fee of £35. No setup fee is available on all bundles, broadband & phone, and broadband only packages. If you can set up using a Self-Install pack, but choose to use an engineer for the installation, you’ll still be charged £30 for this service.
- Read the terms on the Priority app or at o2.co.uk/terms
Get fast, reliable WiFi gliding through every room or money back
Eligible Virgin Fibre areas only. WiFi Guarantee available with M50 broadband or faster. £8p/m extra or included with Gig1 or Volt. At least 30Mbps download speeds in every room or £100 one-off credit. Up to 3 WiFi Pods if needed. Exclusions & legal stuff apply.