Intermittent WiFi connection
There are many factors that could cause an intermittent or dropping WiFi connection. Try our handy hints to improve your connection.
Is the issue with one or all devices? Is the issue with one or all devices?
- If one of your devices is suffering with a poor connection whilst the others are working fine, there could be a limitation with the device. We recommend checking what speed the device supports with the manufacturer.
- If it’s too cluttered with files or apps or has a virus, that can slow it down too. Try out our helpful Gadget Rescue service, or check out our F-Secure Safe Anti-Virus software
Check the signal quality from your Hub Check the signal quality from your Hub
- Run a test to check the speeds you’re receiving.
- If you have a Hub 3, download our Virgin Media Connect app to scan your home for WiFi blackspots. If needed, you can order a WiFi booster in the app to help improve your WiFi coverage in your home.
- Go to service status to check for any know issues in your area.
Too many devices connected? Too many devices connected?
- How many devices are sharing your WiFi connection? The more devices you have connected, the slower the speed.
- Try turning off any devices you don’t need to use to see if that helps.
Reboot your Hub Reboot your Hub
- Switch your Hub off and back on again, using the power button at the back of the Hub.
- Or, use the Virgin Media Connect app to reboot your Hub from the comfort of your sofa.
- If your Hub seems to need rebooting often, get in touch and we’ll check it for you.
- Check that the cables are securely fastened to the back of the Hub and to the box on the wall.
Is your Hub in the best place? Is your Hub in the best place?
- Is your Hub out in the open? For best performance, you’ll need it out of cabinets, next to the TV, (not behind it) and away from fishbowls. These objects block and slow down WiFi.
Are you using the right Wi-Fi network? Are you using the right Wi-Fi network?
- Check that your Hub is connected to the right network. The sticker on your hub will confirm your WiFi Network Name (SSID). You can also change your WiFi Password and make it longer and more complex.
Still not having any luck?
If you've tried all our WiFi Wins, double-checked you're getting the correct wired Ethernet connection speed, and you're still experiencing a problem with speeds over WiFi, there are some other things to consider such as the weather and peak times for browsing. If you’d like to speak to a member of our team, please call us on 03454541111*
*for call costs to our team from Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles may vary.
F-Secure: New F-Secure customers only. Registration required. One subscription per Virgin Media customer. Not available on BlackBerry. Current retail price £79.99, see https://onlineshop.f-secure.com. Up to 5 devices.
Virgin Media Connect App: Requires iOS 9 or later and Android 5 or later. Virgin Mobile customers: the app will work in a device where a Virgin Mobile SIM is present and setup has been completed. Virgin Fibre customers: the app will work on a device where setup has been completed using My Virgin Media account details. Virgin Fibre customers can use up to 7 devices on Virgin Media WiFi at any one time. For setup: Mobile data connection required for Virgin Mobile customers. Internet (Mobile data or WiFi) connection required for Virgin Fibre customers. UK only. Experience varies by location and number of users. It is not always possible to guarantee that we will be able to offer this app on every device, platform and operating system version or variant. Terms and conditions apply.