Leona Lewis to teach London kids
Leona Lewis is to teach a masterclass to London teenagers.
The 'Bleeding Love' hitmaker, along with rapper Plan B, will help with the BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra Academy initiative in her home town of Hackney, east London, with the project aiming to help 10,000 youngsters with lessons in music, acting, fashion and radio.
Leona said: ''I grew up in Hackney and when I heard about the initiatives, I wanted to get involved. Young people relate to us more than politicians, especially with us coming from around here.
''It's important for us to come back and help and support those in the community who are doing amazing things. My aunt runs a dance and music group and is an influential person in the community she grew up in. ''
Leona and Plan B will work with kids aged 13 to 15 from the Pupil Correction Unit in Newham to create a special musical performance for the forthcoming Hackney Weekend festival.
Plan B is enthusiastic about working with young talent.
He told the Daily Star newspaper: ''Me or Leona coming and planting one seed and walking away can help to shape people's lives.
''The education they are getting is s**t. Life is not just about academics.''
The BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra Academy initiative will run from June 1 to June 22.
- Seth MacFarlane turns down 2014 Oscars - 20 May 2013
- Brooke Mueller's drug abuse under investigation - 20 May 2013
- Khloe Kardashian slams Kim pregnancy body critics - 20 May 2013
- Selena Gomez isn't ready for marriage - 20 May 2013
- Kristen and Robert have grown apart - 20 May 2013
- Justin helps co-stars' Cannes experience - 20 May 2013
- Heidi Klum is finished with marriage fairytale - 20 May 2013
- Demi Lovato is having tonsils removed - 20 May 2013