Determined to turn his life around, Donnie pursues his dream of following in his father’s footsteps to become a boxer. He heads to Philadelphia to find his father’s former nemesis, Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), in the hope that Rocky will train and mentor him.
Initially Rocky is reluctant to go back to the world of boxing, but he sees something special in Donnie and agrees to help him. It’s the start of a beautiful bromance. In Rocky, Donnie finds the father he never had, while mentoring Donnie gives Rocky a new lease of life, helping him deal with the loss of his beloved wife Adrian.
Donnie’s raw talent propels him into the boxing limelight, but when the opportunity of a big fight that could make or break his boxing career comes along, will he be ready and can he overcome his demons?
What do we think?
Everybody loves an underdog story and fans of the Rocky franchise will not be disappointed, Creed feels fresh but stays true to its Rocky roots. Michael B. Jordan, who won critical acclaim for his role in Fruitvale Station, gives a knockout performance as Donnie – Sly Stallone can sleep easy, the franchise is in safe hands. Jordan is a rising star, definitely one to watch. Stallone is on fire too, bringing new poignancy to his portrayal of Rocky Balboa. He won a Golden Globe and received an Oscar nomination for his performance. This is a fantastic buddy movie, there’s a natural chemistry between Jordan and Stallone that is vital to the success of this film.
As with all the Rocky films, Creed is about so much more than boxing. It’s about determination, endurance, loyalty, dealing with life’s tough blows and finding inner strength. It’ll make you want to run up those famous Rocky steps and punch the air in triumph.
- Just before filming began for Creed, Sylvester Stallone’s eldest son died, making the film all the more poignant as father-son relationships are a prominent theme.
- Sylvester Stallone insisted Adonis wear the famous American flag Rocky shorts in Creed, worn by Apollo Creed and Rocky Balboa in previous Rocky films.
- Stallone’s Oscar nomination was his second for playing Rocky Balboa.
- Liverpool boxer Tony ‘The Bomber’ Bellew plays boxer Ricky Conlon in the film.
- Sly Stallone is a big Everton fan and some of the crowd scenes were filmed at an Everton vs. West Brom football match.
- There are 72 stone steps in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the famous “Rocky steps”.
Recommended for you