What do we think?
From Shane Black, the director of Iron Man 3 and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys is funny, packed with action and full of intrigue. Shane Black is also renowned as a writer, his scripts include the Lethal Weapon series and the same knack for slick bromance comedy is evident in The Nice Guys.
Who knew Russell Crowe could be so funny? His comic timing is spot on, as is Ryan Gosling’s, they’re both perfectly cast and shine in their roles. The cast is outstanding throughout, especially Kim Basinger as the mother of the missing girl and Angourie Rice as March’s plucky daughter who lends a hand with the investigation.
Shane Black manages the combo of slick and sleazy L.A. noir with breezy buddy movie perfectly. The film travels at breakneck speed, there’s certainly never a dull moment. It has a retro feel, paying homage to great buddy movies of the ‘80s, yet still feels fresh and original.
The Nice Guys is sure to crop up in ‘best films of 2016’ lists at the end of the year. There are already rumours of a sequel – fingers crossed.
The Nice Guys trivia
- The Nice Guys was originally intended to be a TV series, but was then reworked as a feature film.
- Director Shane Black’s trademark is Christmas, and sure enough, a scene in The Nice Guys takes place at Christmas time.
- Jack Kilmer, who plays Chet in the movie, is the son of Val Kilmer.
- Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger previously co-starred in L.A. Confidential in 1997.
- Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe both dropped out of high school to pursue acting.
- Ryan Gosling is set to star in a sequel to cult classic Blade Runner.
- Margaret Qualley is the daughter of Four Weddings and a Funeral star Andie MacDowell.
- Angourie Rice will play Betty Brandt in the forthcoming film Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- The Nice Guys ranks at number 12 on Rotten Tomatoes’ list of highest ranking films of 2016 so far.
Watch brand new movies on demand every week with Virgin Movies. To find out the latest releases, press Home on your Virgin TV remote, then On Demand > Movies.
Not a Virgin Media customer? Hit the button below to find out more:
Recommended for you