The world seems lost – how can a god and the most powerful beings on the planet be defeated? It falls to Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) and Professor X (James McAvoy) to rally the X-Men troops to form a united front if the world has any hope of survival. It’s the battle to end all battles against the ultimate nemesis.
What do we think?
Director Bryan Singer delivers another outstanding superhero blockbuster. The X-Men franchise is at the top of its game with the standard set consistently high and Apocalypse is another awesome addition.
It boasts one of the best ensemble casts out there, featuring the talents of James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne, Nicholas Hoult and Oscar Isaac.
The ambition and colossal scale of this film is breath-taking; this truly is an epic. The special effects are unrivalled. As with all the X-Men films, there is more to this than impressive spectacle. The characters draw you in, making you care about the unfolding events on screen, and the ideas in the film ensure your brain is fully engaged too.
The X-Men universe continues to fascinate as plot strands unfurl and characters develop. Judging by X-Men: Apocalypse, there’s plenty more where that came from, there’s always more to be explored and that is part of X-Men’s enduring appeal.
X-Men: Apocalypse trivia
- X-Men: Apocalypse is the final film in the trilogy which began with X-Men: First Class, followed by X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Director Bryan Singer makes a brief cameo appearance in the film as a guard. X-Men co-creator Stan Lee also makes a fleeting cameo appearance.
- Simon Kinberg was paid a record-breaking $8 million to write the script for X-Men: Apocalypse.
- James McAvoy shaved his head to play the role of Charles Xavier in the movie.
- Tom Hardy and Idris Elba were both considered for the role of Apocalypse.
- Jennifer Lawrence has revealed that this will be her last appearance as Raven/Mystique.
- Hugh Jackman will make one final appearance as Wolverine in Logan, due to be released in 2017.
Recommended for you