Another victim of a heroin overdose, Janis Joplin died in Los Angeles in 1970 at the very peak of her career. Her bluesy rock'n'roll powered the prevailing wind of the time, as kindred spirits Led Zeppelin and Grateful Dead came to prominence and hard rock superseded 60s psychedelia.
More on Janis Joplin
This photograph features rock band Big Brother and the…
"On stage," Janis Joplin said, "I make love to…
Janis Joplin, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Delaney &…
Also in Music
- Paloma Faith: It's hard having a big heart
- Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'Utter S***'
- Simon Cowell: One Direction can go solo
- Taylor Swift thanks Ed Sheeran for tea at BRIT Awards
- Adam Lambert wants to work with Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith
- Mark Ronson: Uptown Funk success is nuts
- Sam Smith praises Kim Kardashian West's outfit
- Madonna brands Lady Gaga feud rumours 'boring'
- Material hurl: Madonna falls off stage at BRIT Awards
- Ed Sheeran 'worried' about latest album
- Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran sweep BRIT Awards
- Taylor Swift's 'love affair' with UK
- Ed Sheeran waiting to celebrate
- Paloma Faith's 14-year wait
- Ne-Yo: I wouldn't exist without Usher