Another victim of a heroin overdose, Janis Joplin died in Los Angeles in 1970 at the very peak of her career. Her bluesy rock'n'roll powered the prevailing wind of the time, as kindred spirits Led Zeppelin and Grateful Dead came to prominence and hard rock superseded 60s psychedelia.
More on Janis Joplin
This photograph features rock band Big Brother and the…
"On stage," Janis Joplin said, "I make love to…
Janis Joplin, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Delaney &…
Also in Music
- Adele for Vegas residency?
- Brandon Flowers: The Killers need to find the 'right groove'
- Matt Bellamy enjoyed countryside walks to get over Kate Hudson
- Rixton to take Ariana Grande for a curry
- Aston Merrygold's new music inspired by Prince
- Zayn Malik to make musical comeback on Naughty Boy album
- Brandon Flowers 'glad' he's not involved with Tidal
- Clean Bandit working with Alicia Keys
- Bob Geldof: Band Aid isn't a good song
- Boy George: Harry Styles is 'sexually ambiguous'
- Brian May: Queen are interested in headlining Glastonbury
- Kylie Minogue praises 'courageous' Boy George at Ivor Novellos
- LA Reid thinks Mariah Carey is too old for hit records
- Taylor Swift's Bad Blood bondage outfits
- Aston Merrygold 'depressed' at JLS split