Another victim of a heroin overdose, Janis Joplin died in Los Angeles in 1970 at the very peak of her career. Her bluesy rock'n'roll powered the prevailing wind of the time, as kindred spirits Led Zeppelin and Grateful Dead came to prominence and hard rock superseded 60s psychedelia.
More on Janis Joplin
This photograph features rock band Big Brother and the…
"On stage," Janis Joplin said, "I make love to…
Janis Joplin to Rolling Stone on the loneliness of…
Also in Music
- Destiny's Child could reunite for new album and tour
- Lana Del Rey to record Bond theme?
- Kate Bush's son gave her courage to perform
- 5SOS' Ashton Irwin wants acting return
- Taylor Swift 'always thinks' about touring
- Nile Rodgers and Rudimental to remix Le Freak
- Brandon Flowers begins work on solo album
- Kings of Leon cancel two more shows
- Sam Smith feels less 'alone'
- Drake 'excited as hell' by Nicki Minaj lap dance
- Kate Bush plays first show in 35 years
- Ed Sheeran records tracks with David Guetta
- Morrissey announces European tour dates
- Billy Idol to release new album in October
- Ed Sheeran and Jessie J join iTunes Festival