Another victim of a heroin overdose, Janis Joplin died in Los Angeles in 1970 at the very peak of her career. Her bluesy rock'n'roll powered the prevailing wind of the time, as kindred spirits Led Zeppelin and Grateful Dead came to prominence and hard rock superseded 60s psychedelia.
More on Janis Joplin
This photograph features rock band Big Brother and the…
"On stage," Janis Joplin said, "I make love to…
Janis Joplin to Rolling Stone on the loneliness of…
Also in Music
- Jessica Simpson to get back into music
- Lily Allen's marriage prompted musical hiatus
- Brandon Flowers talks producer clash
- The Vamps want to form supergroup with Lawson
- Rufus Wainwright's career concerns
- The Script experimented with 'hardcore rap'
- Robert Plant 'fed up' of Jimmy Page criticising him.
- Taylor Swift doesn't feel cool
- Madonna slams Lady Gaga in leaked lyrics
- Cheryl's new song 'sums up how she feels'
- Simon Cowell: New One Direction album is 'fantastic'
- Andre 3000's heart isn't in performing
- Lana Del Rey to record Bond theme?
- Destiny's Child could reunite for new album and tour
- 5SOS' Ashton Irwin wants acting return