X Factor axes contestants before audition
'The X Factor' judges sent 70 hopefuls home from boot camp - before they auditioned.
The quartet - Gary Barlow, Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos, and Nicole Scherzinger - dropped a third of the 211 acts they had put through to the second stage of the competition before they had sung a note as they felt it was better not to waste the time of people who couldn't ''cut it'' and give others a better chance.
Gary explained: ''We've got 72 hours up here for Boot Camp, it's not long. Anyone at this point we don't feel is going to cut it, we should send them home.
''We've made a good call today and it gives the other two thirds of people who are left a good chance of learning something going forward in this competition.
''It's tough but the thing to focus on now is the ones we have put through, it's their shot this week.''
Following the cull, the remaining contestants were grouped into threes and challenged to compete against each other with a song assigned by the judges.
Before the axing, those who had made it to the Boot Camp stage were given a party, with a surprise appearance from former finalists JLS.
The group's Oritse Williams advised the hopefuls: ''This is an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime, so you have to make sure you take it with both hands, you know who wants it the most, and it's who wants it the most that will get it.''
'The X Factor' Boot Camp auditions start tonight (22.09.12) on ITV1.22-09-2012
- Sharon Osbourne to launch Sam Bailey in US
- Dancing On Ice line-up revealed
- Benedict Cumberbatch 'worried' about Sherlock return
- Mark Wright nearly knocks out John Bishop in celebrity match
- Laura Whitmore: Kian's teamwork clinched I'm A Celeb win
- Amy Childs, Sinitta to take part in The Jump
- Luke Friend frustrated by Rough Copy exit
- Beauty School Cop Outs stars come to blows