Sarah Alexander to star in new BBC sitcom
Sarah Alexander and Neil Morrissey are to star in new BBC One sitcom 'Me and Mrs. Jones'.
The six-episode series will see the 'Coupling' actress portray complex character Mrs. Jones, who is having to juggle love, affection, sex and motherhood between her ex-husband, one grown-up son, two young daughters and male admirers with a 20-year age gap.
Hartswood Films - the production company behind BBC's 'Sherlock' series - has been commissioned to create the comedy TV season, which will also star 'Misfits' actor Robert Sheehan and 'Merlin's Nathaniel Parker.
'Me and Mrs. Jones' is created and written by Oriane Messina and Fay Rusling ('Green Wing'), directed by Nick Hurran ('Doctor Who') and produced by Serena Cullen ('Rules of Love') - and Cheryl Taylor, Controller of Comedy Commissioning at the BBC, is delighted Sarah is taking up the lead role in the series.
She said: ''If there has been any anxiety recently about the number of funny women working in comedy here we have the perfect antidote with the wonderful Sarah Alexander starring in a highly entertaining series written by Fay and Oriane and produced by Beryl and Serena. Perfick.''
Executive Producer Beryl Vertue added: ''Producing comedy for the BBC is something we have done with great pride for many years and I am delighted we are back on BBC One with a new series. Hartswood Films has long been a creative hub for comedy, and it is a genuine pleasure to be working with the talented team behind 'Me & Mrs. Jones'.''
'Me and Mrs. Jones' will begin on BBC One on May 21.13-04-2012
- Ruth Langsford: Eamonn's hip operation 'took a bit longer'
- Sam Faiers: Paul went for a two-hour nap while I was in labour
- Lucy Mecklenburgh will be 'working' mum
- Tom Parker has vowed never to do Strictly Come Dancing
- First Dates' Fred Sirieix's 'detective' plan
- Gemma Collins' baby and wedding plans
- Kimberley Walsh wins The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- Nancy Dell'Olio, 54, is 'dating' Ex on the Beach's Jordan Davis, 23