Sarah Lancashire to star in The Paradise
Sarah Lancashire will star in BBC One's 'The Paradise'.
The former 'Coronation Street' actress has signed on for the role of the formidable Miss Audrey, who oversees ladieswear but has a secret heart of gold, in the new eight-part programme about the opening of the North East's first department store in the 1890s.
'Lark Rise To Candleford' writer Bill Gallagher has adapted French writer Emile Zola's novel 'Au Bonheur des Dames' for the small screen.
He said: '''The Paradise' is set at the same time as 'Lark Rise' but now we're in the city, at a time of great change and upheaval, so the series is exciting and constantly dramatic.''
'Game of Thrones' actor Emun Elliott will play self-made store boss John Moray while 'Trial and Retribution's David Hayman, 'Fingersmith's Elaine Cassidy and 'The Syndicate's Matthew McNulty will all co-star.
However, the show will have competition from ITV1's 'Mr Selfridge' which also features a former 'Coronation Street' favorite, Katherine Kelly.
'Mr Selfridge' features 'Entourage's Jeremy Piven as the US entrepreneur who opened London's Selfridges in 1809.17-05-2012
- Gary Lineker's brother Wayne joins TOWIE
- Helen Flanagan admits 'shoplifting'
- Jack P. Shepherd and fiancée expecting second child
- Big Brother plans 'summer of hell'
- Simon Cowell 'dreading' Britain's Got Talent live finals
- Bruce Forsyth wants Play Your Cards Right return
- Vernon Kay to front music quiz
- Billie Faiers' stroppy teenage years