Billy Mitchell to get Olympics special
Billy Mitchell is to get his own 'EastEnders' Olympics special.
The hapless cleaner - played by Perry Fenwick - will star in his own BBC Red Button episode next month to coincide with the London 2012 Games.
Billy has been picked to carry the Olympic touch through Albert Square on its way to the Olympic Stadium and while scenes of him running with it will be seen in the main show on BBC One, there will be a spin-off episode in the build-up to the big moment.
The special - titled 'Billy's Olympic Nightmare' - will air on July 16 and will follow Billy from Walford to Wembley.
He will come face-to-face with a number of sporting legends and celebrities in the episode, and viewers will see Billy becoming nervous about his role of torch bearer, and his sleep is plagued by visions of what could go wrong.
Dame Kelly Holmes and Tessa Sanderson are among the Olympic champions faces who will appear in the special, while 'The One Show' hosts Matt Baker and Alex Jones will also feature.
Perry told the official EastEnders website: ''Like Billy, I am also terrified at what might go wrong as I carry the Olympic torch though Albert Square. Filming this was like a dress rehearsal of my worst nightmare!
''It was strange filming at West Ham as again, like Billy, I feel it's my home. I'm over the moon to be carrying the torch through Walford, and working with the likes of Dame Kelly Holmes has made me even more excited to do so!''
The main episode will be broadcast live and direct from the show's Elstree base on July 23, four days before the Games start.
- Joey Essex to launch reality TV show?
- Joey Essex and Amy Willerton voted off I'm A Celebrity
- Nicole Scherzinger gushes about Gary Barlow
- Ashley Taylor Dawson: Juggling shows is torture
- Sheridan Smith and Angela Rippon win at Women in Film and TV Awards
- Melanie McCabe backs Sam Bailey for X Factor win
- Rebecca Ferguson sick before X Factor performance
- Julie Hesmondhalgh: filming last Corrie scenes was 'upsetting'