Corrie's Hayley taking break from soap
Julie Hesmondhalgh is taking a break from 'Coronation Street'.
The 42-year-old actress - who plays transsexual cafe owner Hayley Cropper on the ITV soap - will be appearing in a play in Manchester for the next few months and will be away from the Street until October.
Writing on twitter, she said: ''Right that's me done. Bye bye weatherfield til October! #bitoftheatre#sicksinmouth (sic)''
Julie will be playing a leading role in a play based on the 2007 death of a student who was attacked for being a goth at Manchester's Royal Exchange.
A number of soap actors have been taking breaks from their careers recently, including 'EastEnders' legend June Brown - better known as Dot Branning - who is taking time out to write her memoirs.
However, she is unsure if she will return.
The 85-year-old star said: ''My contract ended and I want to do something else. As an actress you don't want to always plod along at the same thing. I don't know how long I will be out.
''In fact I have no idea if I will go back - no one is indispensable.''09-08-2012
- Corrie's Peter kisses Tina on wedding day
- will.i.am promises new Voice catchphrases
- Matt Smith's life changed with Doctor Who
- Matthew Wright and Vincent Simone booted off I'm A Celebrity
- Susanna Reid's Strictly schedule takes its toll
- Ant and Dec: Campmates are being themselves
- Beauty School Cop Out Scarlett get 'posh' intimate makeover
- Helen Flanagan and Scott Sinclair back together