Ant and Dec: Dermot O'Leary wants us to retire
Ant and Dec think Dermot O'Leary wants them to retire.
The 'Britain's Got Talent' duo - who were honoured with the Landmark Award for their illustrious TV careers at the National Television Awards last night (22.01.14) - believe the 'X Factor' host secretly wants them to call time on their long-running careers so that he will finally be acknowledged as Best Entertainment Presenter, an award won by the pair at the ceremony for the last 13 years.
Ant - real name Anthony McPartlin - joked to BANG Showbiz backstage at the NTAs: ''[I was thinking] is this one big massive thing? Is this Dermot? Has Dermot set this whole thing up just so we can retire and he can win the award next year? I knew it!''
The loveable hosts shot to fame on the children's drama series 'Byker Grove' - and as pop music duo PJ & Duncan - before carving out a successful presenting career fronting both 'I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!' and 'Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway', in addition to 'Britain's Got Talent'.
However, Dec - real name Declan Donnelly - insists they have no plans to retire just yet.
Quizzed if the duo will scale back, he said: ''I hope not. That's the weird thing ... We worked out this is 25 years that we've done television - not together, I think we've worked together 25 years next year - but 25 years since we both got our first job in telly. It was lovely to hear Sir Bruce Forsyth say the next 25 are the hardest.''23-01-2014
- Alison King taking break from Coronation Street
- 'Naughty' Amanda Holden
- Sam Faiers wants to get married and have children with boyfriend
- Jim Carter: It's 'right time' for Downton Abbey to end
- Amy Willerton has a new love
- Coronation Street's Tracy Barlow to seek revenge on Carla Connor
- Chris Coghill thrilled with new role after playing paedophile
- Claudia Winkleman to speak about daughter's accident