Coronation Street gets Canadian remake
'Coronation Street' is set for a Canadian remake.
Writers on the long-running ITV soap are secretly writing a version of the show exclusively for Canada, which could be on screens in a matter of months.
A source told The Sun newspaper: ''This is a secret project a group of our top writers have been working on for more than a year. They have already created the core cast of characters and have already written the early episodes.''
The Canadian 'Corrie' could be set in the famous city of Toronto.
The British soap is screened in over 60 countries around the world, including Canada, where it airs nightly on CBC.
Germany was the first foreign nation to remake the show for its own audience as 'Lindenstrasse' ('Lime Street') launched in the country in 1985.
ITV Studios, which produces 'Corrie', is behind the Canadian version and they are also hoping to launch a version of the show in Australia, which is known for its popular soaps such as 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away'.
The soap source added: ''There's no reason why there couldn't be different takes on 'Coronation Street' around the world. Think of the incredible depth of storylines and characters that could be drawn on.''31-01-2014
- Omid Djalili 'would never appear' on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
- Craig Revel Horwood thinks Scott Mills' Strictly Come Dancing days are numbered
- Sarah-Jane Crawford plays matchmaker on The X Factor
- Paul Hollywood tried to get Mary Berry arrested
- Rochelle and Marvin Humes haven't rowed since presenting This Morning
- Coronation Street mini-bus crash
- Louise Thompson wants to go on date with Eminem
- Simon Webbe wanted Blue competition on Strictly Come Dancing