David Beckham helps Sport Relief to £55m mark
David Beckham helped Sport Relief raise over £55 million for charity last night (21.03.14).
The retired soccer legend appeared in a sketch alongside 'Only Fools And Horses' stars Sir David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst as the popular sitcom returned for a one-off special.
The trio were part of the biannual telethon, which raises money to help vulnerable people in the UK and Africa.
David Jason - who was back in his role as Del Boy in the sketch - had revealed the reunion came from David Beckham making the suggestion.
He explained: ''He said he had always loved 'Only Fools and Horses' and that it would be great to do something with me and Nick. So then the grapevine started to work as these things do.''
Hosts for the huge event included Gary Lineker, David Walliams, Fearne Cotton, Jack Whitehall, Claudia Winkleman and Davina McCall.
Celebrities and sports personalities underwent a series of challenges to help encourage people to donate to the cause, including TV presenter Alex Jones, who raised £1.3 million when she climbed up a 1,300 foot crock in Utah.
She said: ''I'd bitten off more than i could chew. I was petrified.''22-03-2014
- Benefits Street's White Dee accused of betraying roots
- Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard
- Mary Berry pleased Paul Hollywood is back with wife
- Pregnant Holly Willoughby 'can't wait to wallow'
- Mark Wright in talks for Strictly Come Dancing
- Lauren Goodger to show 'sweet side' on Celebrity Big Brother
- Jake Wood signs up for Strictly Come Dancing
- Grace Andrews' TOWIE tears