David Beckham helps Sport Relief to £55m mark
David Beckham helped Sport Relief raise over £55 million for charity last night (21.03.14).
The retired soccer legend appeared in a sketch alongside 'Only Fools And Horses' stars Sir David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst as the popular sitcom returned for a one-off special.
The trio were part of the biannual telethon, which raises money to help vulnerable people in the UK and Africa.
David Jason - who was back in his role as Del Boy in the sketch - had revealed the reunion came from David Beckham making the suggestion.
He explained: ''He said he had always loved 'Only Fools and Horses' and that it would be great to do something with me and Nick. So then the grapevine started to work as these things do.''
Hosts for the huge event included Gary Lineker, David Walliams, Fearne Cotton, Jack Whitehall, Claudia Winkleman and Davina McCall.
Celebrities and sports personalities underwent a series of challenges to help encourage people to donate to the cause, including TV presenter Alex Jones, who raised £1.3 million when she climbed up a 1,300 foot crock in Utah.
She said: ''I'd bitten off more than i could chew. I was petrified.''22-03-2014
- Lord Alan Sugar: Simon Cowell should shave beard off
- MasterChef's Gregg Wallace wants more kids
- Jennifer Metcalfe feels 'pressure' to look hot
- NTAs 2016 introduce new categories
- Gemma Atkinson wants baby before she's 32
- Stephanie Davis to join I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
- Charley Webb: Let Debbie Dingle go quietly
- Strictly Come Dancing's Aliona Vilani has bust-up with husband