EastEnders' Rainie is 'misunderstood'
EastEnders' Tanya Franks says Rainie Cross is ''misunderstood''.
The drug-addled prostitute recently made a shock return to Walford, blackmailing Ian Beale for money to keep quiet about his antics on the night of daughter Lucy Beale's death, but Tanya doesn't think her soap alter-ego is all bad and enjoys playing a challenging character.
She said: ''I think she's just misunderstood. It's fascinating for me, she's such a challenge, she's such an extreme to what I am as a human being.''
Unlike her character, who has battled alcoholism, Tanya isn't a big drinker so she's had to base her performance on observations in everyday life.
She told SoapSquawk.co.uk: ''I have drunk in my life but I've never been a big drinker. I haven't drunk now for about seven years. A lot of the darker side of life that I play is through observation and research.
''When I first went into 'EastEnders' they had an ex-drug addict to help me go through a lot of the symptoms. It's stuff I had never experienced. I always learn something new from her.''
Tanya - who first appeared on the BBC One soap in 2007 - hasn't ruled Rainie out in the murder of Lucy.
She added: ''I guess it could be Rainie, somewhere down the line, but I don't know yet.''01-08-2014
- Janice Dickinson signs £300,000 Celebrity Big Brother deal?
- Aidan Turner bombarded with marriage proposals
- Angie Best for Strictly Come Dancing
- Jonathan Ross to host US magic show
- Peter Capaldi tells kids he's parked his TARDIS
- Gary Lineker wants Messi to sign for Walkers
- Louis Walsh to be axed from X Factor?
- Maisie Williams to star in Doctor Who