Protecting my identity
How can I help keep my details safe?
- If someone you don’t expect gets in touch with you and asks you to log into your online accounts, make a payment or give them any information; be careful.
- This might happen over the phone, face-to-face, or online. If you’re not sure – politely decline and contact the company they’re from using an email or phone number that you know belongs to that company.
- Don’t share too much personal information on your social media, and be sure to check your privacy settings.
- Don’t tell anyone your password or PIN, and make sure it’s not easy to guess. For example, don’t use your year or date of birth.
- Make sure any documents that contain your personal details are shredded before you throw them away.