Issues when sending emails
There are a few common reasons for why emails might not be sending successfully. Follow the guidance for the relevant option below.
My message was returned as undeliverable My message was returned as undeliverable
A bounce message or Delivery Status Notification lets the sender know a message wasn’t delivered properly. Email providers format their bounce messages differently, but almost all include details explaining why delivery failed.
To help diagnose the issue, open the bounce message. The details are typically near the top of the message and are mixed in with various diagnostic codes. Below are some examples. The important text is in bold:
- PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 mailbox unavailable
- Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 No such user e8si1321249muf
- TEMP_FAILURE: DNS Error: Could not contact DNS servers
Generally these errors mean the email failed to send because the recipient’s mailbox was unavailable. This could be down to:
- A spelling mistake in the email address
- Technical issues with the recipient’s address or it has been deleted/become inactive
Quick fixes to try
- Check the spelling of the email address
- Contact the recipient to make sure you have the right email address (e.g. via phone)
- If you have successfully sent an email to the recipient before, it’s worth trying again later as issues can be temporary
My message did not arrive, but I didn’t receive a notification My message did not arrive, but I didn’t receive a notification
If a message you’ve sent never arrived at its destination, you should first check your Sent Mail. Messages that you send to a mailing list, or to an email address that’s automatically forwarding your mail to Virgin Media Mail, will only appear in Sent Mail.
If you can’t find the message, check your Drafts to see if it was auto-saved.
If you found the message in your Sent Mail, make sure the recipients’ email addresses are correct.
My message was never received, but it appears in my Sent Mail My message was never received, but it appears in my Sent Mail
From time to time, some webmail providers classify Virgin Media Mail messages as spam.
Please ask the person you emailed to check their junk mail folders for the missing message. If the recipient is still unable to locate your message, they may need to lower the spam filters to receive messages from your Virgin Media Mail account.