How do I use filters in Virgin Media Mail?
Virgin Media Mail's filters allow you to manage the flow of incoming messages. Using filters, you can automatically:
- Move messages into a specific folder
- Forward messages to another email address
- Mark messages as read
Filters will detect when you receive a new message and automatically take any action that you pre-set.
There are 2 parts to a filter
- Condition - what condition needs to be met to activate the filter.
- Action - What action is the filter is to take when the condition is met.
To create a filter To create a filter
- Click the system menu icon on the right side of the menu bar and click Settings.
- Expand the E-mail options.
- Select Filter Rules.
- Click on Add new rule.
- In the Create new rule window, enter a name for your new rule.
- Click the Add condition and select what condition that needs to be met.
- Click on Add action and choose what action the filter does with the message.
You can add more than one condition to a rule. If you are using more than one condition you can specify whether to apply the filter if any connection is met or if all conditions are met.
To remove a condition or an action, click on the trash icon next to the condition or action.
Ok, you want to set up a filter which moves messages received from Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com into a folder titled 'Virgin Media'.
So, in this example:
- The Condition to be met is messages received from Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com
- The Action is to move messages into a 'Virgin Media' folder.
Here is how you would set up the above filter:
- Rule name - 'Richard Branson'.
- Add condition - Sender/From.
- Sender/From - Type 'Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com' into the box.
- Add action - Move to Folder.
- Select folder - 'Virgin Media'.
- Click Save
To change a filter To change a filter
1. To edit a rule's settings, click on Edit next to the rule. Change the settings in the Edit rule window.
2. To disable a rule, click on Disable next to the rule.
To enable a rule, click on Enable next to the rule.
3. To change the order, hover the mouse pointer over the Move icon next to a rule. Drag the rule up or down and drop it appropriately.
Note: This function is only available if there are at least two rules.
4. To delete a rule, click the Delete icon next to the rule.