How do I use filters in Virgin Media Mail?
Virgin Media Mail's filters allow you to manage the flow of incoming messages. Using filters, you can automatically:
- Move messages into a specific folder
- Forward messages to another email address
- Mark messages as read
Filters will detect when you receive a new message and automatically take any action that you pre-set.
There are 2 parts to a filter
- Condition - what condition needs to be met to activate the filter.
- Action - What action is the filter is to take when the condition is met.
To create a filter
- Click the system menu icon on the right side of the menu bar
- Click Settings
- Expand the E-mail options
- Select Filter Rules
- Click on Add new rule
- In the Create new rule window, enter a name for your new rule
- Click Add condition and select what condition that needs to be met
- Click on Add action and choose what action the filter does with the message
You can add more than one condition to a rule. If you are using more than one condition you can specify whether to apply the filter if any condition is met or if all conditions are met.
To remove a condition or an action, click on the trash icon next to the condition or action.
Ok, you want to set up a filter which moves messages received from Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com into a folder titled 'Virgin Media'
So, in this example:
- The Condition to be met is messages received from Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com
- The Action is to move messages into a 'Virgin Media' folder
Here is how you would set up this filter:
- Create New Rule - 'Richard Branson'
- Add Action Condition - Sender/From
- Sender/From - Type 'Richard.Branson@virginmedia.com' into the box
- Add action - Move to Folder
- Select folder - 'Virgin Media'
- Click Save
To change a filter
- To edit an existing Rule, click on Edit next to the rule and change the settings in the Edit rule window
- To disable a rule, click on Disable next to the rule
- To enable a rule, click on Enable next to the rule
- To change the order, hover the mouse pointer over the Move icon next to a rule. Drag the rule up or down and drop it appropriately (Note: This function is only available if there are at least two rules
- To delete a rule, click the Delete icon next to the rule