What is malicious communication?
Malicious communication is any unwanted calls or texts which are harassing, threatening, obscene or abusive in nature. Anything which by its nature makes you or your child uneasy or causes stress or anxiety. This is an illegal action and can be reported.
What can you do if you are the victim of this type of communication?
- Do not reply to the offending call or text
- Tell a parent or guardian if you are receiving this type of communication and are under the age of 18
- Do not give your number to people you do not know and ensure it is not publically available on social media platforms
- Keep a record or screenshot of the content of the text with the Date, Time and Sender information as this may be required for further investigation.
- If the communication is via phone call, do not engage in conversation keep a record of the date and time of the call and the number that made the call
- Delete the call from your called list to prevent you inadvertently calling the number back
Block the caller from your device by doing the following
- You need to start by accessing your list of recent callers, so open the Phone app.
- Tap on the Recents tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Click the 'i' symbol next to the unwanted number.
- Scroll down and tap Block this Caller.
- Confirm your decision
- Open the Phone app and view your recent calls.
- Tap the phone number you want to block. ...
- Tap "More" or "Info," designated by three vertical dots.
- Choose the option to block the number, which may be labelled "Block" or "Block contact."
- Open Whatsapp, tap more options signified by three vertical dots and go to settings
- Tap Account>Privacy>Blocked Contacts
- Tap Add
- Search for or select the contact you want to block
- Alternatively you can open a chat with that contact then tap more /more options >Block
- New whats apps from someone that is not saved in you contacts will have a Block or Add option at the top of the chat and you can block from there.
If you have been a victim of fraud, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or visit www.actionfraud.police.uk *. Action Fraud is the reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Reports of fraud and any other financial crime in Scotland should be reported to Police via 101. However, if debit cards, online banking or cheques are involved in the scam your first step should to contact your bank or credit card company.
How can Virgin Media Help?
- We can offer you a change of number free of charge through our customer care team on 789.
- We can also ensure you are not listed in the National Directory Database.
* These links to external sites are provided as a courtesy and we are not responsible for the content of these sites or any problems encountered whilst applying these steps and we are not able to provide any technical support for such problems.