On your iPad, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Mobile Data’ or ‘Settings’ > ‘Personal Hotspot’
Tap the slider next to ‘Allow Others to Join’
Other devices can now join by searching for the hotspot using WiFi, Bluetooth or a USB
How do I connect when using an iPad as a hotspot?
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Mobile Data’ > ‘Personal Hotspot’ or ‘Settings’ > ‘Personal Hotspot’ and make sure it’s on
- Verify the WiFi password as well as the name of your phone
- Remain on this screen until you’ve connected the other device to the WiFi network
- Connect the other device by going to Settings > WiFi and locate your iPad in the list
- Tap the WiFi network to join
- Make sure that your iPad is discoverable
- To do this go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Bluetooth’ and stay on that screen
- On your Mac or PC, set up a Bluetooth network connection
- Connect your iPad to your laptop with your USB cable.
If you need to get online using your Mac, you can also use your iPad as a WiFi hotspot.
- Tap the ‘Settings’ icon on your iPad
- Tap ‘General and then ‘Network’ to open the Network settings screen. Verify that the data switch is on
- Tap ‘Personal Hotspot’
- Tap the ‘Personal Hotspot’ switch from ‘Off’ to ‘On’
- Copy the password displayed in the ‘WiFi Password’ field
- Click the ‘Network’ icon in your laptop’s ‘Notifications’ area. The ‘Network’ icon is identifiable by a series of vertical bars
- Click your iPad’s ‘Personal Hotspot’ on the list of available networks and click ‘Connect’
- Enter an identifying name for your connection in the provided field. Enter your iPad’s ‘Personal Hotspot’ password when prompted
- Select your desired Auto-connect method. Click ‘Always connect automatically’ if you want to connect your iPad and laptop automatically whenever they are in range
- Click ‘Never connect automatically’ if you would rather enter your Personal Hotspot password each time you want access
Use ‘Family Sharing’ to get everyone online
Get the entire household online by allowing family members to join your Personal Hotspot.
- On your Personal Hotspot device go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Personal Hotspot’ > ‘Family Sharing’
- Turn on ‘Family Sharing’
- Tap the name of each person in your home, while deciding if they need approval to join your hotspot automatically
How do I know my iPad is working as a hotspot?
When you have created the WiFi hotspot on your iPad, it’s been turned on and has devices connected to it, the status bar will turn blue and display the number of connected devices.
You can turn off the hotspot just as easily:
Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Personal Hotspot’ and switch to ‘Off’