Why set up a personal hotspot?
Using a personal hotspot allows you to get productive on the move, or to kick back with some video watching between stops. You can easily set up your Apple, OPPO, Samsung, Sony or Huawei smartphone (available through Virgin Media with competitive data bundles) as a personal WiFi hotspot, by following our guides below.
It’s quite easy to set up a mobile hotspot from your smartphone – just go to your settings and follow the instructions. Don’t forget, using a mobile hotspot can drain your battery and mobile data, so either plug in, or don’t go crazy on the binge-watching.
How does a mobile hotspot work?
In order to create a decent WiFi hotpsot form your phone you will need a strong 3G, 4G or 5G network connection. As long as your phone has a steady connection, the mobile hotspot will convert your network data into a WiFi signal and then off you go.
- Go to Settings > Personal Hotspot and switch it on
- Make a note of the WiFi password
- Open the WiFi menu on the device you need to connect to the internet. Look for your iOS device (example: “Toby’s iPhone”), tap it, and enter the password that appears on your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot screen
- You should now be connected. To disconnect, switch off Personal Hotspot or change the settings on your second device
- Navigate to Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot and switch it on. A pop-up window comes up with the WiFi password for devices that want to connect
- Navigate to Settings > Network and Internet > Hotspot and Tethering and select share a connection via WiFi, USB, or Bluetooth
- Pull down from the top of the screen and select Settings > Tethering. Then switch on the WiFi hotspot
- Navigate to Settings > Wireless and networks > Tethering and Portable hotspot > Portable WiFi hotspot
- Choose Configure WiFi hotspot to set a name, security setting and password for your hotspot, then tap Save
- Press Settings > Other Wireless Connections > Personal hotspot > Name and Password Settings
- Press the field next to Name, and type in the required password for your mobile hotspot
- Press Security and then WPA2 PSK to protect your WiFi hotspot password
- Press the field next to Password, type in your required password and press Save
- Switch on Enable Your Personal Hotspot