It’s time to light up Christmas! We’re joining forces with TV’s Stephen Mulhern to offer a magical prize for primary schools across the UK
Virgin TV’s Christmas Stars competiton
This competition is now closed. Good luck if you entered! We are reviewing all the entries and will announce the winner soon.
It’s never too early to get in the festive spirit, and now there’s even more reason to celebrate thanks to an incredible money-can’t-buy prize for primary schools across the UK, from Virgin Media.
Virgin TV’s Christmas Stars competition is on the hunt for the UK’s best primary school Christmas play.
We’re giving schools the chance to take their Christmas play from the school hall to the Virgin TV screen – and your school’s festive spirit (and entries) are needed to make it happen!
We will film a special recording of a school’s festive production and make it available, via On Demand, to our TV customers in the days leading up to Christmas.
A magical story deserves a very special narrator, so we’ve teamed up with TV presenter Stephen Mulhern, who will join the school’s cast, playing the role of narrator for a one-off performance.
He says, “Christmas is my favourite time of the year and I’m so excited to play the narrator in the UK’s best primary school festive play and share it with millions of Virgin TV customers this Christmas.”
As it’s the season of goodwill, the winning school will also be awarded £5,000, while the runner up will receive £1,000. And 22 schools that reach the final stage of the competition will be given £100 too!
What more do you need to know?
Schools can enter any type of Christmas play – from a traditional nativity to a contemporary tale. The play must have an original script, have a narrator role and be between 30 and 60 minutes in length.
All entries will be judged on their creativity, originality and involvement of the children by a panel of judges comprised of members of Virgin Media’s Executive Committee, Stephen Mulhern and Lisa Prime, Children’s Events Programmer at BAFTA!
How to enter
This competition is now closed.
To enter, schools need to complete a short online entry form. Find full details and the entry form here.
Virgin Media TV Christmas Stars Competition Terms and Conditions
a) The 2018 Virgin Media TV Christmas Stars Competition (the ‘Competition’) is run by Virgin Media of Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UP (the ‘Promoter’).
b) By submitting a competition entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions. All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions.
c) The Promoter may in its absolute discretion refuse to award any prize to any entrant who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
d) The Promoters reserve the right to hold, void, cancel, suspend or amend the competition or terms and conditions where it becomes necessary to do so.
1. The Competition is open to all UK schools teaching at a primary level, excluding residents of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
2. The Competition opens at 9.00am on 1st November 2018 and closes at 11.59pm on 27th November 2018 (the ‘Closing Date’). Entries received after the closing date will be invalid. Maximum of 3 entries per school.
HOW TO ENTER
3. To enter the Competition you must:
· Read and agree to these terms and conditions
· Complete and submit Competition entry form:
o Explain why your school should have its Christmas play shown on Virgin TV (max. 120 words)
o Provide us with an outline of your Christmas play (max. 200 words) including key plot points and a list of any songs, celebrity or sport references you are proposing to use in the play and the authors of such works (if applicable)
o Provide us with an image promoting your Christmas play.
· Confirm that all work is not in breach of any intellectual property rights and that you own or are licensed to use all relevant copyright and other intellectual property rights in the work as are required to enter it into the competition and to grant us (with the full rights to sublicense) the right to exploit it for commercial purposes.
· Provide us with such other information and cooperation as we or our agents may reasonably request in relation to the Competition.
4. Entries must:
a. Have original elements, be fully scripted and incorporate elements of narration by a celebrity guest. Talent or variety shows will not be accepted - there needs to be a clear storyline.
b. Free of all copyrighted material or other material in which third parties may have intellectual property or other rights.
c. Between 30 minutes and 60 minutes in duration for the full play
5. The Promoter will not accept responsibility for competition entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
6. By submitting a competition entry, you warrant, undertake and represent that:
a. Your entry is completely original and does not contain any copyrighted material to which you do not have rights for sharing with the Promoter for all commercial purposes such as broadcast, press and social media.
b. No logos or branding, including trademarked names or phrases, are featured within your entry
c. Your entry does not infringe any third party intellectual property or other rights
d. Your entry has a narrator role, which will be taken on by a celebrity in the event that your school is selected as the winner of the competition
e. You have obtained and have proof of written consent from the parent or legal guardian of every child participating in your play, for their entry in the Competition and use of such entry in any and all promotional material relating to the competition
f. You have access to a space which meets the following requirements (the ‘Minimum Venue Requirements’):
o Indoor space
o Access to toilets and power
o Available seating for 15 audience members (minimum)
g. Your Christmas play will be ready to be filmed on Monday 10th December 2018.
7. By submitting a competition entry you consent to the Promoter using your entry, including the school’s name, teacher’s name, play title and synopsis/script, for all commercial purposes including without limitation to produce a version of the play to show on the Virgin TV platform and to publicise the competition across various media platforms including our set top box, website and the Promoter’s social media pages.
8. For help with entries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Please see http://www.ichild.co.uk/p/virgin-media-christmas-competition-terms-conditions-t to view and print a copy of these terms and conditions.
THE WINNING SCHOOL
10. Entries will undergo the following judging process:
· Stage 1
o Each valid entry will be assessed by an independent third party (the ‘Agency’) appointed by the Promoter using the following equally weighted criteria:
a) Creativity of entry submitted
b) Originality of entry submitted
c) Entertainment value of entry submitted
d) Level and quality of student input in entry submitted
o The Agency shall submit a shortlist of up to 24 entries to the Promoter. This will (where possible and at the Agency’s discretion) be comprised of 2 schools per geographic region of the UK (London, South East, East England, South West, East Midlands, West Midlands, Yorkshire and Humber, North West, North East, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales).
o The Agency reserves the right to shortlist more than 2 schools per region in the absence of valid entries from other regions or where it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion.
· Stage 2
o The shortlisted entries will be judged by a panel of at least 5 judges, including members of the executive board of the Promoter and at least one independent judge, using the same criteria as in Stage 1.
o The panel will select one winner, one runner up. The remaining entrants will be regional semi-finalists and will receive the regional semi-finalists prize.
o The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final. No correspondence will be entered into. Unsuccessful or disqualified applicants will not be notified.
Further details of the judging panel can be viewed on the http://www.ichild.co.uk/p/virgin-media-christmas-competition-terms-conditions-t from the Closing Date for a period of 10 working days.
11. The winner, runner up and regional semi-finalists (the ‘Winning Entrants’) will be notified of their status by phone or email on the 4th December 2018 (the ‘Notification Date’).
12. If not done so already, the Winner shall share its script with the Promoter by midnight of Wednesday 5 December.
13. The Promoter reserves the right to review and edit the script of the winning entry as it sees fit before, during and after filming.
14. Winning Entrants will be expected to and agree to take part in post-competition publicity as determined by the Promoter, if required.
15. There will be 1 winner of the main prize (the ‘Winner’). 1 prize per winner. There will also be 1 runner-up and up to 22 regional semi-finalists. 1 prize per runner up. 1 prize per regional semi-finalist. The winner will be the school that submitted the entry in each case.
16. Main Prize:
· £5,000 (five thousand pounds)
· Christmas play performed by the Winner and narrated by a celebrity guest, to be professionally filmed in the week commencing 10th December 2018, edited and made available on the Virgin TV On Demand platform in the run up to Christmas (dates of availability at the discretion of the Promoter).
17. Runner-up Prize:
· £1,000 (one thousand pounds)
18. Regional semi-finalist prize :
· £100 (one hundred pounds)
19. Prizes will be paid by bank transfer to the Winning Entrants nominated UK bank account. In circumstances where the Winning Entrants do not have a bank account, prizes will be paid in a mutually agreed manner. Prizes exclude any fees and/or charges that your bank may impose for receiving the Prize money.
20. Prizes will be paid to the Winning Entrants within 30 days of the Notification Date.
21. The Winning Entrants are responsible for providing the Promoter with all necessary and relevant details required to fulfil payment of the prize.
22. Prizes are as stated only and cannot be deferred or transferred.
23. The Promoter shall not be required to pay any royalty for the broadcast of the production to the Winner.
CLAIMING THE PRIZE
24. The Promoter reserves the right to select another winner if the Winner:
· Does not claim the prize in a reasonable time
· Does not have the consent from the parents or legal guardians of all pupils appearing in the play for them to be filmed and be used in promotional materials where required
· is unable to demonstrate that it has obtained all necessary permissions for the use of any intellectual property rights by a third party
· is unable to meet the Minimum Venue Requirements
· is unable to have filming take place in the week commencing 10th December 2018
25. Winning Entrants shall not discuss the results of the competition with any third party (including posts on social media) unless and until express consent is received from the Promoter.
26. By accepting the prize, the Winner gives consent for the Promoter’s film crew, members of the Promoter’s staff, the celebrity guest and their team and all other relevant persons required for filming, to visit their school in the week commencing 10th December 2018 to film the winning entry. The filming may take up to 5 hours and the Winner warrants that it will have the requisite number of staff required to supervise any children involved in the filming. All visitors shall comply with the Winner’s visitor policy.
LIMITIATION OF LIABILITY AND INSURANCE
27. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or contractual partners will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the Winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
28. The Winner warrants that it has or will obtain before the week commencing 10th December, valid and suitable public liability insurance.
OWNERSHIP OF COMPETITION ENTRIES AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
29. The Promoter does not claim any rights of ownership in your competition entry.
30. You agree that the Promoter may, but is not required to, make your entry available on its website and any other media (including the Virgin TV On Demand platform), whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity of the competition.
31. You grant the Promoter an exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the competition entry and any accompanying materials, to (in all media): use, display, publish, transmit, broadcast, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format, reproduce in any advertising or promotional material and sub-licence the competition entry and any accompanying materials for such purposes.
32. The Promoter shall record and edit the winning entry for broadcast. The Promoter shall consult the Winner in the editing process but the Promoter shall have the final decision at its absolute discretion.
33. All rights in the final broadcast version of the winning entry shall vest exclusively in the Promoter and no other party shall acquire any rights or title in it.
DATA PROTECTION AND PUBLICITY
35. Except where prohibited, winning a prize (see clauses 18-20) constitutes each winner’s consent to the Promoter’s and/or its agents’ use of the winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or home town/city/village and state/region/county for promotional purposes related to the Competition in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration and without notice and/or consent.
36. Promoter is Virgin Media Limited. General Terms and Conditions apply, see here.
37. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude you from participating in the competition.
38. The Promoter reserves the right at any time and/or from time to time to hold void, suspend, cancel, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of the Promoter in all matters under its control is final and binding.
39. Entrants are reminded that their participation in this competition and the Promoter’s name, logo or branding cannot be used in commercial advertising or promotions, to attract external funding, to lobby or campaign, or to attract donations without prior written approval of the Promoter.
40. These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.