How to turn on and use AirDrop
If you’re using an iPhone 11 or a newer model, follow these steps to turn on AirDrop:
- Launch the Control Centre by swiping up from your iPhone's bottom bezel.
- Press and hold the WiFi button until 6 further options appear on-screen.
- Tap the AirDrop icon.
- Once there, tap Contacts Only or Everyone to turn on AirDrop. Alternatively, you can keep it switched off by tapping Receiving Off.
Managing your AirDrop settings
You have a number of options at your disposal when managing AirDrop settings.
You can control who sees your device by visiting Settings, then General. Or by revisiting the options in the Control Centre. As mentioned, you can choose to share with Contacts Only, Everyone or you can even switch to Receiving Off.
How to block AirDrop on an iPhone
If you wanted to block AirDrop altogether, you can do so using Screen Time restrictions. This can be especially useful if you’re keen to add parental controls to your child’s Apple device. To do so:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to find Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Select Allowed Apps.
- Tap the AirDrop On/Off slider until the switch is greyed out.
You can easily re-enable AirDrop by following the above steps again.