Homeowners and tenants
We’re making it even easier for people to connect to the Virgin Media network from home. Take a look at the steps below to learn more:
1. Wayleave: Most of our construction activity happens on public highways. However, sometimes we have to cross private land and when this happens we need permission from the owner. This permission has to be in writing and takes the form of an access agreement called a Wayleave. You can find more information about Wayleave access agreements further down the page.
2. Cabling and construction: We will lay the fibre optic cables in a narrow trench under the roads and pavements up to a small access point on the pavement in front of the property. All construction is carried out by qualified, insured civil contractors and is usually completed within a few days; we will work with you to ensure there is minimal inconvenience and disruption. As this is part of our network expansion work, we won’t attach cables to your home. However, if in future you choose to use Virgin Media’s services, then cabling will be fitted as part of your installation. At this point, you will have an opportunity to agree with us on the route of the cabling.
3. Ready to go: Great news! Your neighbourhood is now part of our network and you can request a connection to our fast, reliable fibre optic broadband.
4. Installation: You and your neighbours will now have the option to become Virgin Media customers. We’ll let you know about the great services and offers we can provide. Once you’ve chosen the services that suit you, we will agree on an installation date. On the agreed date, one of our friendly engineers will get you up and running.
None. If we come and carry out the work, there will be no charge to you. All the costs are met by us. Similarly, if we find that we’re unable to come, you won’t be charged.
We won’t attach cables to your home as this is part of our network expansion work.
If you choose to take Virgin Media services in the future, then cabling will be fitted as part of your installation. You will have an opportunity to agree with us on the route of the cabling too.
Property managers, private landlords and local housing associations
Whether you’re a private landlord or local housing authority, investing in reliable broadband can be crucial. Not only can it act as a major pull factor for new tenants but it also gives you the opportunity to transform lives, create opportunities and prevent social isolation. Don’t just take our word for it - take a look at some of the research below.
Research from Which? has found that 9 out of 10 people think that a broadband connection is essential to everyday life, alongside food, housing and utilities.
If you want to appeal to buyers or existing tenants, you might want to consider not just providing them with the essentials, but with facilities that will future-proof your properties.
With the average UK internet speed at just 36.2Mpbs, our speeds are fast enough to provide you with not just an essential connection, but a desirable one.
Property experts agree that slow broadband speeds can be a deal-breaker when it comes to house sales, so much so that they can affect property prices by up to 20%! A subpar connection can also lead to customers walking away from a sale, as broadband is fast becoming regarded as the fourth utility.
With more people using broadband to stay entertained, jump on video calls and pursue personal projects than ever before, fast and reliable broadband has never been more important.
We have a long-standing promise to make sure the power of connectivity benefits our customers and our communities.
Our Digital for Good campaign is all about giving people who need it most a helping hand, learning new skills, enjoying better technology and improving access. And the great news is that all the costs for delivering the network to your residents will be met by Virgin Media.
With over 20 years of experience, we’ll help you define your new every day in a way that works for you, your people and your customers, not just today but in years to come, all made possible by the cloud.
Connecting your organisation so it’s always on and always ready for change. Protecting your data even when people are working remotely. Empowering people to do their job wherever they are, whenever it matters, however works best for everyone.
We’re experts in the public sector and one of the largest providers of networking services in the UK too. We help public sector organisations to work smarter to cut costs, get more from their technology as well as being fully secure and compliant.
Once we’ve decided to connect your neighbourhood to the network, we’ll make initial contact and set up a meeting.
At this stage, all we need is your stock list of premises. From here, we’ll be able to give you an idea of which ones are eligible for our ultrafast fibre technology. Then, there are just a few more things we need to consider:
1. Wayleave: In order to install a new network we first need to ask permission from the owner of the land or property. This permission will be in writing and takes the form of an access agreement (Wayleave).
2. Planning: Once the Wayleave agreement has been signed, we’ll work with you to agree on plans for the building activity. We’ll let you know before we start work on your premises and a friendly Virgin Media representative will be on hand to answer any questions. We will work with you to ensure there is minimal inconvenience and disruption.
3. Cabling and construction: The great news is that for construction and cabling, we don’t need access to your residents’ homes.
When everything’s ready for the network to be installed, we will lay fibre optic cables in a narrow trench under the roads and pavements up to a small access point on the boundary between the highway and the front of the property. A multi-dwelling property or apartment block will require a bespoke cabling plan pre-agreed between yourselves and a building engineer.
All construction is carried out by qualified, insured civil contractors and is usually completed within a few days.
4. Ready to go: There’s no obligation for your residents to choose services with Virgin Media, but now they will be able to make the most of our services if they wish. As well as the benefits of e-commerce, which will make communication easier and cheaper for you, they will be able to stream, browse, watch and play to their heart’s content.
We’ll let your residents know about the great services and offers we can provide.
5. Installation: If your residents choose to become Virgin Media customers, then it’s up to them to get in touch and we’ll agree on an installation date with them. One of our friendly engineers will get them up and running. The cabling will be fitted as part of their installation. They’ll also have the opportunity to agree on the cabling route with us.
No. If we come and carry out the work it won’t cost you or your residents anything - all the costs are met by us. If we find that we’re unable to come, you won’t be charged.
Yes. Minimising disruption to tenants and residents in the area is very important to us, so we always stay in regular contact throughout the building process.
We take data protection very seriously. We don’t require specific customer information from you at any point and are more than happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement to assure your confidence in us.
A pre-wire would normally be carried out on a block of flats. It involves cabling into the individual premises that lead back to an individual lockbox in the building.
Pre-wiring a property allows all cabling to be done at once, meaning tenants can gain faster access to our services without the need for additional cables to be installed in communal areas.
Want to learn more about how we can work with property managers, private landlords and local housing associations? Call us on 0800 479 1111.
With any new development, a dedicated New Build Team will be there to support you at each stage of the process. You will be able to:
- Take the easiest route: Our New Build Officer will study your site utility margins and start advising you on cable routing. The earlier you get us involved, the more we can help.
- Guarantee on-site delivery: We deliver everything you need for your fibre installation straight to your site.
- Receive hands-on advice at every step: We’ll assign a Liaison Officer to your development, to be on hand throughout the installation from start to finish.
For technical information on how to support your on-site deployment, check out the New Build Developer’s Guide. Heads up! If you're using Internet Explorer, you'll need to change your browser to download this PDF.
There are just four steps to get your development’s entertainment sorted:
1. Site request form - It’s quick and easy to complete our site request form.
2. Access agreement & site survey - One of our team will contact you to discuss access agreements and an initial site survey.
3. Cabling & construction - We then work with you to arrange the site materials and all aspects of work required on site.
4. Customer installation - Once the build is complete, we are ready to connect each property.
We use our own independent network instead of Openreach, which allows us to offer fast, reliable broadband, including 1Gig Fibre Broadband in selected cities.
We also offer supercharged entertainment, with hundreds of channels available, alongside home phone and mobile offerings.
Two-way ducts are required, which sit alongside Openreach in your existing utility trench.
Rebates for completed homes can be claimed at any point. We complete all the offsite work, which only leaves your on-site requirements.