How do I get connected once the agreement is in place?
It’ll be an FTTP (Fibre to the premises) connection. So you can expect to have our superfast, reliable fibre-optic cables fitted from start to finish.
Most times, it goes like this…
- You’re contacted about the installation plan
- The local area, perhaps your street or tower block, gets connected
- Our broadband deals become available to you, or your tenants or homebuyers
- The property is fully connected to our network, after choosing to join us
See FAQs to learn how we’ll support you.
*Further requests to the same new build site may be charged.
Wayleave (or an access agreement) is written consent – from the homeowner, developer, housing association member, local authority, landlord or tenant – which gives us permission to carry out construction work on private land or property, and to install and maintain our equipment.
Construction can’t start without wayleave. So, if you’re leasing the property for at least a year or you’re the freehold owner – and we’ve contacted you to complete the form – please do so as soon as you can or talk to us on Live Chat if you need help or advice.
Our fibre-optic cables will be laid in a narrow trench under roads and pavements up to a small access point on the boundary between the highway and the front of the property. If we can avoid any digging by using existing trenches and other infrastructure, like telegraph poles, that’s what we’d prefer to do.
- Cables won’t be attached to the property (yet) We’ll arrange a setup visit when you buy our broadband. You’ll have chance to talk to us about where the cabling goes inside your home.
- Qualified, insured civil contractors will carry out the work Tenants will be informed before the installation work starts. And we’ll work with you to minimise any inconvenience and disruption that may be caused.
Providing all necessary permissions are received, we’ll review and finalise our plans and begin to schedule the construction activities. We typically schedule our construction activities many months in advance.
We’ll invite you to meet with us initially, to take stock of your premises and explore the site’s compatibility with our superfast network. Your Virgin Media representative will guide you throughout the planning stages and beyond, until construction is completed.
Rest assured that…
- We won’t ask for residents’ information or need access to their homes.
- We’ll happily sign a non-disclosure agreement.
A pre-wire is normally carried out in a block of flats. We connect individual premises to the building’s integrated receiver system, if there is one; or to the Fibre to the premises (FTPP) connection; or to a bespoke cabling plan. This is done to save time in future: we won’t need to install additional cables in communal areas, so your tenants can get broadband sooner after they’ve placed their order.
We’ll work with you on all of the offsite construction, leaving only the on-site requirements to your developer. You’ll have Virgin Media staff dedicated to your new build, including our own:
- New build officer, who’ll take your initial site survey (they’ll study your utility margins, advise where our cables should go…).
- Liaison officer, who’ll support throughout the project. Everything you need for your broadband installation will be delivered straight to the site.
The earlier you get us involved, the more we can do to help your new build - Fill in the site request form (if you haven’t already) – ideally, nine months before your homebuyers move in.
Claim rebates for completed homes (optional) - This can be done at any point.