22 December 2017
While we may not have five gold rings, we do have five sustainability goals so before we put on our out of offices and get stuck into festive food and fun, we wanted to share our 12 best moments from 2017 with you:
1. Launching our Work With Me campaign with Scope to support one million disabled people to get into and stay in work by the end of 2020
2. Showing disability discrimination in football the red card by donating our shirt sponsorship of Southampton Football Club to Scope for the Saints’ biggest game of the season against Manchester United
3. Working with Scope to look at our workplace, policies and practices to transform how we support our disabled employees and customers
4. Using our Product Scorecard to directly influence the social and environmental impacts of future customer products. Our Hub 3.0 was assessed and it’s 15% more energy efficient during use than its predecessor the Superhub 2ac
5. Publishing our Gender Pay Gap – the first to do so in our industry - and sharing publicly what we are doing to address it, getting a shout out from Government in the process
6. Announcing, in our 2016 performance update, that we’ve reduced our carbon footprint by 11.9% since 2014 at the same time as expanding our network to nearly a million more homes and businesses through Project Lightning - with more to come.
7. Merging the Virgin Media Pioneers community into Voom to create one big programme that provides everything small businesses need to grow
8. Extending our partnership with the Royal Shakespeare Company to broadcast Shakespeare’s plays into schools across the country and ensuring they are more accessible to deaf students
9. Leading the way with our approach to sustainability reporting for another year running thanks to our highly shareable GIFs and visual content
10. Increasing the number of ISO14001 accredited sites by 2, helping us to manage the environmental impacts of our office estate
11. Working quickly and effectively with Liberty Global and the Virgin Group to support those affected by international disasters, such as Hurricane Irma
12. Joining more than 500 of our colleagues in our contact centres to help take donations over the phone for Red Nose Day
This year we’ve stayed more focused than ever before on transforming the lives of disabled people. By launching Work With Me and starting to improve our workplace practices and policies we’ve built a strong foundation that will allow us to make more good things happen in 2018.
Finally, we couldn’t have achieved any of our 12 highlights without the support of teams’ right across Virgin Media, so a big thank you to all those involved for your support.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
The #VMSust team