Nominate someone who has gone above and beyond and they could win a tech makeover worth up to £10,000
By Virgin TV Edit
This competition is now closed, good luck to those who entered!
Calling the people of Leeds and Glasgow! We are looking for the unsung heroes in your communities – the people who have gone above and beyond during the pandemic and who deserve to be recognised.
Do you know an individual, organisation or group that has made a significant contribution to their community and kept community spirits up during lockdown? They could be rewarded for their efforts with an incredible technology makeover worth up to £10,000!
Not only will your “Local Legend” receive two years of Virgin Media’s awesome Gig1 broadband service – which has recently been rolled out in both cities – they’ll also be given the latest gadgets to make the most of their next-level connectivity.
It could be a local delivery driver or postal worker, a neighbour who has kept the street informed and entertained, a teacher or NHS worker, a fundraiser in the area who has raised money for a worthy cause, or a moment of kindness that simply needs to be recognised.
How to vote
Want to give that special person, organisation or group some recognition for their amazing help these past few months? Firstly, ensure your nominee is Gig1 eligible by clicking here, then just head here to enter their name, contact details and why you think they are deserving of a tech makeover.
All entrants will be shortlisted by Virgin Media and will be put in front of a specially selected judging panel who will be tasked with picking the winner. Good luck!
Local Legends Competition Terms and Conditions
General Terms and Conditions
1. These terms and conditions apply to the Local Legends Competition (the “Promotion”).
2. The Promotion is open to anyone aged 18 or over, and resident in the United Kingdom except employees of Virgin Media Limited, their immediate family members and anyone professionally connected with this Promotion.
3. Entrants may submit an application to nominate their Local Legend. The Local Legend must be an individual, a community organisation, or charity based in a Promotion City whose residence is capable of receiving Virgin Media Gig1 Fibre Broadband services, and they must be able to sign up to Virgin Media services for a period of 24 months. Please see Gig1 Fibre Broadband postcode checker for availability and find instructions on how to use the postcode checker here. Entries that cannot receive Gig1 Fibre Broadband will be invalid. Entries that cannot receive Gig1 Fibre Broadband may still be submitted, but will not be eligible to be entered into the competition.
4. Entries received after the Closing Date will be invalid. To enter the Promotion to nominate your Local Legend, you must complete and submit the Promotion entry form before the Closing Date.
5. Winners will be verified using their name, e-mail address, mobile number and post code provided upon entering so please take particular care to provide the correct details when you enter.
6. There will be 1 winner of the Prize for each Promotion City.
7. Prize: A digital makeover up to the value of £10,000. Each makeover will be bespoke to the winner’s needs and circumstances. Illustrative packages could include:
a. House with gamers: 120” screen, 4K projector, sound bar, games console, over-ear headset and microphone, 2 years of Gig1 Fibre Broadband.
b. Digital learning centre: digital whiteboard, 4K 65” TV, x10 tablets, 120” screen, FHD projector, 32” touch PC, amplified microphone, 2 years of Gig1 Fibre Broadband.
c. Family basics: cloud storage, x4 Chromebooks, Nintendo Switch, 4k 65” TV, Nest Hello, Nest Hub Max, x4 Nest Mini, x4 smartphones, sound bar, x4 headphones, x4 smart watches, 2 years of Gig1 Fibre Broadband.
d. Community photography group: 8K 65” TV, 4K laptop x10 tablets, media server (NAS).
e. Community digital art studio: digital drawing board, PC, media server (NAS), 8K monitor, 2 years of Gig1 Fibre Broadband.
8. The winner will be selected using the following process:
i. To enter the Promotion you must complete and submit the Promotion entry form on behalf of the Local Legend you are nominating before the Closing Date. You can nominate yourself.
ii. The nomination must include a short description of why the nominee is deserving of a digital makeover.
iii. The nominee must be able to receive Virgin Media Gig1 Fibre Broadband services. Please check availability at [insert postcode checker]. Final verification of eligibility to receive Virgin Media services shall be carried out by a Virgin Media engineer.
iv. All entries will go to an independent third party for shortlisting. The third party will select 5 valid entries against the criteria listed in clause 8.a.v for each Promotion City. In the event that the total number of entries exceeds 400 for each Promotion City, 20 entries for each Promotion City shall be selected at random, from which 5 valid entries for each Promotion City will be selected against the criteria listed in clause 8.a.v. Any invalid entries will be removed.
v. The 5 valid entries for each Promotion City will go before a panel comprising of Konnie Huq, an independent community representative and a senior Virgin Media employee, who will select 1 winning individual or organisation for each Promotion City against the following criteria:
1. They must reside in the Promotion City;
2. They must be able to receive Virgin Media Gig1 Fibre Broadband services;
3. They must have made an exceptional contribution to their local community; or
4. A digital makeover would be transformative to their lives or those they help in their community
9. Shortlisted entries will feature in a Virgin Media press release and may be used in all media.
10. If the winner is an existing Virgin Media customer, any Virgin Media products and services included within the Prize will constitute an upgrade of their existing package.
11. The winner will be notified by no later than 14 days following successful selection by the panel. Notification will be by email or phone.
12. The winner must claim the Prize no later than the acceptance date for the relevant city. We will make three attempts to contact each winner by email or phone to notify them and to invite them to claim the Prize. If none of these attempts is successful, the winner will no longer be entitled to the Prize, and the Prize will be awarded to the runner-up selected by the panel.
13. Use of each Prize is also subject to the prize provider’s terms and conditions.
14. The Prize is provided and (unless otherwise specified) administered by Virgin Media Limited of 500 Brook Drive, Green Park, Reading, RG2 6UU.
15. Multiple, bulk or automatically generated votes will not be valid.
16. Virgin Media does not accept responsibility for entries lost or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
17. Virgin Media reserves the right to cancel and/or amend these terms and conditions and/or the Promotion at any stage but we will only do so for reasons outside of our reasonable control. We will endeavour to minimize the effect of such cancellation or amendment on participants in order to avoid disappointment, which may include providing an alternative Prize if the original Prize becomes unavailable for any reason.
18. The decision of Virgin Media regarding any aspect of the Promotion including voting, validity of votes, the selection process and these terms and conditions is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
19. To ensure the integrity of the entry we will provide all of the data you provide, including personal data, to an independent third party iChild Limited of First Floor, Seymour House, R/O 60 High Street, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England, HP5 1EP, who will remove duplicate or otherwise invalid votes, count the valid votes, validate the outcome and select entries against the criteria listed in clause 8.a.v, before these are put before an independent panel. That third party will act as a data processor for Virgin Media and their use of the personal data will be limited to the sole purpose of verifying the integrity of the vote.
20. You must obtain the consent of the person or relevant person at the organisation that you are nominating to share their personal data with Virgin Media and the relevant third party partners.
21. Personal data collected in the course of entering will be used for the purposes of validating and administering the Promotion, but subject to your and the nominee’s explicit consent we may use your personal information to contact you by email or phone with information about our products and services, special offers and rewards.
these terms and conditions or where we are required to disclose that information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements.
23. The Promotion winner must agree to participate in reasonable publicity in relation to the Promotion. You must ensure you obtain the consent of the person, or relevant person at the organisation that you are nominating to participation in reasonable publicity in relation to the Promotion. At a minimum, this will include a providing a photo and a quote for a press release, both to be used in all media
24. The Promotion winner allows Virgin Media and/or any third party acting on its behalf, to use their name, photograph, video, voice recording and general location for publicity, news and/or any future Promotions or advertising.
25. The name and county of the winner will be made available for a period of 1 month after the date of selection. To receive this, please send a Subject Access Request marked ‘Local Legends Competition’ to: Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Road, Hammersmith, London W6 8BS.
26. Virgin Media and its agents shall not be responsible or liable to compensate the winner and the person nominating them for any loss, damage or consequential damage of any nature in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise caused by acceptance of these terms and conditions and/or in connection with the Prize (to the extent permissible by law).
27. These terms and conditions and any disputes or issues arising out of or in connection with them (whether contractual or non-contractual in nature, such as claims in tort, breach of statute/regulation or otherwise) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You and the Winner agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any disputes or issues. 28. Promoter is Virgin Media Limited. General Terms and Conditions apply, here virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/general-promotion-terms-and-conditions.
City Specific Terms and conditions:
Liverpool and Edinburgh
29. A “Promotion City” for the purpose of this Promotion includes Liverpool and Edinburgh only.
30. The winner must have a registered address in either Edinburgh or Liverpool and their property must be capable of receiving Gig1 Fibre Broadband services.
31. The Promotion opens at 00:01 on 16 July 2020 and closes at 23:59 on 13 August 2020 (the “Closing Date”).
32. The Liverpool and Edinburgh winners will be selected in the week commencing Monday 24 August 2020.
33. The Liverpool and Edinburgh winners will be notified no later than Friday 11 September 2020.
34. The Liverpool and Edinburgh Prize acceptance date is Friday 18 September 2020.
Glasgow and Leeds
35. A “Promotion City” for the purpose of this Promotion includes Glasgow and Leeds only.
36. The winner must have a registered address in either Glasgow or Leeds and their property must be capable of receiving Gig1 Fibre Broadband services.
37. The Promotion opens at 00:01 on 24 August 2020 and closes at 23:59 on 21 September 2020 (the “Closing Date”).
38. The Glasgow and Leeds winners will be selected in the week commencing Monday 5 October 2020.
39. The Glasgow and Leeds winners will be notified no later than Friday 23 October 2020.
40. The Glasgow and Leeds prize acceptance date is Friday 30 October 2020.