Before the 2020 Virgin Media British Academy Television Awards, here’s what you need to know
By Virgin TV Edit
Got your gladrags ready? Reserved your spot on the sofa? Good, because the 2020 Virgin Media BAFTAs are right around the corner!
Celebrating the very best telly from 2019, this year’s awards are all set to sparkle in their own unique way. And with all the action live on BBC One, you’ll be right at the heart of it.
Want to know more about what’s to come? From the familiar face presenting the whole shebang to the pick of the nominees and how you can watch the event itself, here’s your essential guide to the glitziest night in the showbiz calendar…
Who’s presenting the awards?
Richard was nowhere near catching the BAFTA mask in his hand.
The one and only Richard Ayoade, that’s who! The actor, writer, filmmaker, television presenter and all-round funnyman will be responsible for announcing this year’s winners.
Where are the awards being held?
This celebration of top telly was scheduled to have taken place at London’s Royal Festival Hall, but with 2020 being 2020, this year’s event will be held behind closed doors in a studio.
How can I watch the 2020 Virgin Media BAFTAs?
You can watch this year’s awards live on BBC One HD (CH 101/108) from 7pm on Friday 31 July. Don’t worry if you think you might miss it, because you can watch it after broadcast via Apps & Games > BBC iPlayer.
Who’s been nominated?
Only the cream of British and international telly from the past 12 months. Fleabag leads the way with four nominations, while Chernobyl, Giri/Haji, The Crown, and Gentleman Jack are also well represented. You can get to know all the nominees right here.
- Watch our video on the Soap & Continuing Drama and Reality & Constructed Factual nominees
- Watch our video on the Mini-Series and Drama Series nominees
- Watch our video on the Scripted Comedy and Entertainment Programme nominees
- Watch our video on the Leading Actress and Leading Actor nominees
- Watch our video on the nominees for Virgin Media’s Must-See Moment
And in case you missed the recent news, actor, writer, and producer Idris Elba will receive the BAFTA Special Award for his contribution to TV. Go Idris!
How will winners’ speeches work?
Virtually – that’s how! Winners on the night will be saying their thank yous from wherever they might be. We’re hoping they’ll be at home so we can have a nosy at the background.
What’s been nominated for this year’s Virgin Media Must-See Moment award?
Voting for the Virgin Media Must-See Moment Award has now closed, but here are the contenders vying for the only gong voted for by the public…
- Coronation Street: The death of Sinead Osbourne
- Fleabag: Confessional scene
- Game Of Thrones: Arya kills the Night King
- Gavin And Stacey: Nessa proposes to Smithy
- Line Of Duty: John Corbett’s death
- Love Island: Michael recouples after Casa Amor
Fancy a takeaway on us for the big night?
Let us know who you’re watching the BAFTA ceremony with, using #VirginMediaBAFTAs on Twitter and tagging them in, and we might just be sorting your dinner out!
Have a big night in with Virgin Media
We can’t take you to the 2020 Virgin Media British Academy Television Awards – so we’re bringing them straight to you.
Click here to find out more.
TV channels: Channels, content and features available depend on your chosen package. Channel line-ups and content are subject to change at any time and to regional variations.
HD: HD TV set, V HD Box, TiVo box or Virgin TV V6 connected with HDMI cables required for HD channels. Number of inclusive HD channels depends on package.
Catch Up TV: Catch Up TV content available for up to 7 days or up to 30 days after broadcast, depending on content.
Virgin Media BAFTA, 2020 T&Cs
1. Open to @virginmedia followers aged 18 or over, and resident in the United Kingdom except employees of Virgin Media Limited, their immediate family members and anyone professionally connected with this Promotion.
2. The Promotion closes at 22:00pm on Friday 31st July 2020. Entries received after the closing date will be invalid. Maximum of 1 entry per person.
3. To enter the Promotion you must tweet @virginmedia, tagging at least one other Twitter handle and using #VirginMediaBAFTAs
4. There will be a total of twenty-five prizes. One prize per winner.
5. The prizes will be:
· 25x Just Eat Vouchers worth £50 each
6. The prizes can only be used as stipulated and cannot be sold, transferred or exchanged for cash and any attempt to do so may render the Prize void. No cash alternative is available and Prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion (unless expressly stated).
7. The winner will be selected at random from all valid entries received and will be notified by no later than 6pm on Monday 3rd August. You will be notified if you have won via Twitter. You must respond to claim your prize within 14 days of having been notified; otherwise the prize will be given to someone else. The prize winners will receive their prize no later than two weeks after contacting Virgin Media to claim their prize.
8. Promoter is Virgin Media Limited. General terms and conditions apply, see below.
General terms & Conditions
1. By entering the Promotion all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these general terms and conditions and all Promotion specific terms and conditions, including any additional terms and conditions that apply to the use of the Prize.
2. Multiple, bulk or automatically generated entries will not be valid unless expressly stated in writing in the applicable Promotion-specific terms and conditions.
3. The Promoter does not accept responsibility for entries lost or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
4. Where a Promotion is advertised on or includes an entry mechanism that involves any social media platform (such as Facebook or Twitter), the Promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with that social media platform.
5. Prizes can only be used as stipulated and cannot be sold, transferred or exchanged for cash and any attempt to do so may render the Prize void. No cash alternative is available and Prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion (unless expressly stated).
6. All aspects of any Prizes must be taken as a complete package.
7. No additional benefits are included and the winner and their guests (if applicable) are responsible for any and all of their expenses/costs (including but not limited to spending money, all travel, food and drink and/or telephone calls).
8. Prizes must be claimed within 14 days of notification (unless an earlier date is set out in the promotion specific terms and conditions). If the winner cannot be contacted or the Promoter does not receive a response within the timeframe stipulated, the Promoter may select an alternative winner at its sole discretion.
9. The Promoter does not assume any responsibility or liability for communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regards to notification to any winner.
10. Proof of identity and age may be required to redeem Prizes.
11. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the Promotion or these terms and conditions at any stage but will only do so for reasons outside of its reasonable control. The Promoter will endeavour to minimize the effect of such cancellation or amendment on participants in order to avoid disappointment, which may include providing an alternative Prize if the original Prize becomes unavailable for any reason.
12. The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of this Promotion or these terms and conditions is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. Personal data collected in the course of this Promotion will be used for administering the Promotion only.
14. Winners agree to participate in reasonable publicity in relation to the Promotion.
15. The name and county of the winner will be made available for a period of 1 month after the closing date. To receive this, please send a SAE marked with the name of the relevant promotion to: Gill Bennett, Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Road, Hammersmith, London W6 8BS.
16. The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss, damage or consequential damage of any nature in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise caused by acceptance of these terms and conditions and/or in connection with the Prize (to the extent permissible by law).
17. These terms and conditions and any disputes or issues arising out of or in connection with them (whether contractual or non-contractual in nature, such as claims in tort, breach of statute/regulation or otherwise) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Entrants agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any disputes or issues.
18. Promoter: Virgin Media Limited whose registered office is at 500 Brook Drive, Reading, RG2 6UU.