How do I use the TV Control app as a TV remote?
Virgin TV Control is great for watching the TV you love and even makes how you control your home viewing even easier by allowing you to control your TV with your mobile or tablet.
Once set up, you can use it to change channel, find out more about what you’re watching, plus pause, rewind and fast forward TV too. The remote control feature can be set up with as many devices as you have, there’s no need to use up a registered device slot for this.
You can only use the app as a remote control when your device is connected to the same home network as your Virgin TV V6, powered by TiVo or TiVo box. If you’re out and about you’ll see the remote icon has an exclamation mark or an orange ‘x’ over it.
If you’ve got a Virgin TV V6 box, to use Virgin TV Control as a remote control you’ll need to make sure the standby settings on your box are set to either Connected Low Power or Always On, otherwise Virgin TV Control won’t be able to connect to your Virgin TV V6 box. For more information on this see Standby Settings on your Virgin TV box.
For more details on Powerline and how to order Powerline kit from Virgin Media see What is Powerline?
Set up your equipment to enable the remote control feature Set up your equipment to enable the remote control feature
In order to use your mobile device as a remote control you must have:
- A Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box
- Your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box connected to your Hub
- A mobile device connected to the Wi-Fi of Hub your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box is connected to
Connecting a Virgin TV V6 box to your Hub
If your Virgin TV V6 box is working, then you won't need to do anything else. Your Virgin TV V6 box is connected to your home network when installed.
Your TiVo box is in the same room as your Hub
Connect your TiVo box to your Hub with an Ethernet cable. You can do this by plugging one end of the cable to the Ethernet socket on the back of your TiVo box and the other to a spare port on the back of your Hub.
Your TiVo box is not in the same room as your Hub
If your TiVo box and Hub live in different rooms, you can use Powerline adapters to connect them. These use your electrical wiring to send the signals between your TiVo box and Hub. For more about Powerline, please see: What is Powerline?
Using Virgin TV Control app in home or away mode Using Virgin TV Control app in home or away mode
The Virgin TV Control app allows you to manage your recordings on Virgin TV V6 or TiVo, choose what you want to record and discover new programmes wherever you are on 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi, even if you’re abroad! Additionally, if you have a Virgin TV V6 box, you can take your selected recordings with you on the go or watch them live at home on any compatible device, in any room of your home with WiFi.
What you can do and how you do it depends on which mode you’re using:
Out and about (Away Mode)
Using Virgin TV Control in Away Mode lets you:
- Find and explore shows
- Set, manage and delete recordings on your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box. You can do this from anywhere in the world on 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi
- Watch selected recordings that have been downloaded to your device when you have a Virgin TV V6 box
With your mobile device connected to your home network (Home mode)
When your mobile device is connected to the same home network as your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box, Virgin TV Control lets you:
- Use your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android Tablet or Phone, or Amazon Kindle Fire or Fire Phone like an advanced remote to control your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box
- Set, manage and delete recordings on your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box
- Find and explore shows
- Stream selected recordings from your Virgin TV V6 box as well as watch any that have been downloaded to your device
Remote control Buttons & Gestures Remote control Buttons & Gestures
With the Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box connected, your mobile on the Wi-Fi and the Virgin TV Control app open, you can tap the remote control icon at the top right of the screen. You may be prompted with the message advising you that you’re not connected to the Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box on the home network, press connect to enable and open the remote control.
When you first tap on the remote you’ll see your onscreen remote control looks just like your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo remote. Drag up and down the screen to see the buttons you can use. They work like those on your remote control.
- Tap Home on the top screen to bring up the Home screen on your TV, then use the buttons to navigate around the menus. Tap the keypad icon at the top of your screen to bring up the onscreen keypad
- To control a recording or paused live TV, use buttons on the middle screen to play, fast-forward, rewind, pause, skip forward and go back. You can also play it in slow motion, record, use Thumbs Up or Down or stop a video
- The bottom screen gives you the number keypad to select channels
If you prefer using swiping gestures to control your TV, tap the Gestures near the top right of the screen and you’ll see the gesture pad area. This allows you to control your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo at the touch of your fingertips by using touch-screen gestures.
Tap the icon to see how to use these.
Once you’ve finished using the onscreen remote control just tap the remote icon at the top of the On-screen remote control.
Troubleshooting the Virgin TV Control network remote control Troubleshooting the Virgin TV Control network remote control
If your Virgin TV Control app shows an exclamation point over the remote icon it means the feature is not set up correctly. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue.
- Check your device is connected to Wi-Fi, and remember, if you are in a place where you connect to more than one Wi-Fi signal, make sure you are connected to the correct network!
- Make sure that your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box is connected to your router. After checking the connection, confirm the devices are ‘speaking to each other’ by going to Home > Help & Settings > Network and checking that the IP address under the connection details shows as 192.168.0.X (Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box and Hub may need to be rebooted to refresh)
- On the Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box, navigate to Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices and allowing access for network-based remote controls
- If you have more than one TV box make sure you have selected the one you wish to control from the app itself. In the Virgin TV Control app, tap More at the bottom right, tap selected DVR which will allow you to select the Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box you wish to view/control
Problems with Virgin TV V6 or TiVo remote recordings Problems with Virgin TV V6 or TiVo remote recordings
The recording I set up didn’t work
There are a number of reasons why your recording request may not have worked:
- If your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box was off when you set up the recording, the request won’t be picked up until the box is switched on. If your box isn’t turned on until after the show starts, the recording won’t work
- If you’ve got more than one TV box, make sure you’ve chosen the correct box on which to set the recording
- Your Virgin TV V6 or TiVo Recording Hiccups screen will explain why the show did not record. Any problems with recordings will be listed here
- If the show was on a regional channel, but your box isn’t in that region, it won’t be able to record it
Can I use Remote Record on any Virgin Media set top box?
Virgin TV Control is only available if you have a Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box.
How do I get the latest version of the app on my mobile device?
Your device’s app store will notify you when a new version of the app becomes available.